Meet My Newest!!! Pics and some questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pkforever, May 21, 2010.

1. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay so I have been wanting a polish for the longest time and finally went and got ONE today. Only one, we named her Alice. And holy cow is she tiny. So tiny that I don't think it'd be a good idea to mix her with a 2 month old and 2 4 week olds. So she is going to stay inside for awhile until it stops raining for one and she gets a bit bigger. So what should I do? She's very lonely and I can't have any more chicks. I tried moving the smallest chick in from outside but she is more than 4 times Alice's size and hated inside without her buddies. So how do I keep Alice happy??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    First - She is sooo cute!!!!![​IMG] Have you tried putting a stuffed animal in w/ her. I done that w/ my turkeys and they loved it.

3. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    She has a Peep stuffed animal! [​IMG]

4. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    OMG she is just the cutest thing!!! You should go back and get another, chicks do better with a pal. Maybe you know someone who could lone you a chick for a few weeks, till she's old enough to move out with the bigger chickens.

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] She sure is cute, You should get her a friend.

6. kaeo

kaeo New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    here is one get her one more play mate works every time she is cute

7. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    you have a cute one there [​IMG]
    but you need onemore [​IMG]
    or else i think you will have problem ,now and t the future for sure ... [​IMG]

8. LilBremer

LilBremer New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    I would play with her a lot. She will be very happy and you don't have to get another. :)

9. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]So cute

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She may be lonely now, but the real serious problem will be when you try to integrate her with the rest of your flock when she's old enough to go out there with them. The way of chicken world is they run in packs. The chicks of the same age who are raised together will form a unit for life. They not only keep each other company, but they derive their self confidence and protection from being part of a unit. Chicks of units of four or more do much better coping with life in a flock of older chickens. It's even very hard for just a unit of three chicks when it comes time to face the big, scary adult chickens. One chick will be almost hopelessly lost, a misfit almost for certain, and it will have an awfully hard time because it will be the only smallest one, therefore have a bigger chance of being bullied and pecked to death.

You need to show this to whomever is making the decision that you can't have any more chicks. To raise just this single baby chick is really quite cruel. It needs at the very LEAST, two others of the same age. It doesn't even have to be the same breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by