Meet the Family.... err, I mean flock. (Pic Heavy!)

Ashridge Acres

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Orange County, IN
So here's a few pics of our first chicks. They're not the greatest pictures since I took them with my cell phone, but you get the idea. We bought them all as pullets and they should be about 2 weeks old by now.

May I introduce my 2 (almost 3) year old daughter's Barred Rock, Tricky! She's the second to the smallest and has a lot of white on her like a roo, but compared to our other BR, she's a lot smaller and hopefully a she. She has a touch of yellow on her breast, but is very lively and loves to be picked up.

Tricky1.jpg

Tricky2.jpg

Here is our second BR, which is mine. I've named her Pearl, and she's the largest of our flock. Her big girl feathers are coming through nicely (quicker than the other three) and she's very dark like the pullets are supposed to be. She's also very social and loves to be picked up. I believe she is taking the roll of the flock leader.

Pearl2.jpg

Pearl1.jpg

This little girl is a very outgoing Silver Lace Wyandotte. She practically jumps in your hand every time you have it near the brooder. She's very outgoing and loves to be held. She's the second largest. She belongs to my 1 year old son, so we helped him name her Opal.

Opal2.jpg

Opal1.jpg

And last, but not least, my wife's RIR. Her name is Ruby and is the smallest of the flock. She's very active and a bit skiddish, peeping loudly when we pick her up and wanting to jump and run once you have her. We're working with her hoping that she will be as easy to work with as her sisters. She's very petite and beautiful!

Ruby2.jpg

Ruby3.jpg

We've got them in a large rubbermaid tub for the moment and I'm working on a coop for when they're bigger. We're just using newspaper on the bottom and cleaning it out once a day with fresh food and water. They don't seem to mind so far.

0310102208.jpg

(L to R: Ruby, Tricky, Opal, Pearl)

We added the sassafras branch a few nights ago for a little perch and to add a nice aroma to the brooder. They loved it! This being a new adventure for our family, we're glad that they appear healthy and happy. Here's another after cleaning the brooder last night.

0310102225.jpg

(L to R: Pearl, Tricky, Ruby, Opal)

What a fun adventure for my kids. They love them! Living in the area we live in with as much acreage as we have, we figured it was about time to try our hand at some micro-farming. The flock joins our two dogs and our cat. I think we may try rabbits and maybe a calf down the road. Thanks for a great site to help answer some of our "newbie" questions!

Justin

Oooh, I love the "pre-perch" you have in there for them. I think I'll do that for mine, too; they're a little over a week old now, and I think they'd like it.

Your guys are so cute!

Thanks guys! Tricky's tail feathers don't seem as developed as the others, but that doesn't seem to be a problem so far. Her wing feathers are coming through great and really showing some good variation. Think it's anything to be concerned about?

Justin

Well, the chicks are growing up nicely, but I think Tricky played a little trick on us! She's getting pretty red waddles and comb, so I think she may be a he! Oh well, maybe that will give us room to add another hen to the flock at a later date. I should update this thread with new pics as they're now celebrating their month old mark and getting very big! The weather is getting nice and I need to finish up their coop and run and get them out of the living room and in the grass!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom