Meetup at California State Fair in July @ Chicken exhibit building!

Darn, I wish I could have gone! I also missed the Northern, CA meet up.

I still think we should all try to organize something strictly for Bay Area peeps. It doesn't have to be anything grandiose, more like a nice hangout where we could all finally meet each other and talk chickens.

Would anybody still be willing to try to organize a Bay Area meet this year? I'm willing if you are! I'm going to start googling meeting places now!

Quote:
glad you made it! I liked the alpines, because I had never considered the wethers for pack animals. Hmmm.....

goats are pretty useful animals, arent they? weed eaters, pets, milk, meat, pack animals, and they are so darn cute!

I would be interested in a swap meeting of some kind....you would prob get quite a few chicken peeps in the Bay Area, kinda far for me, but I would try to make it for a good swap/sale
wink.png

I don't think we can have an actual swap in the bay area. We never could find a location that allowed chickens. Any bay area meetup would probably have to be just a chat and BBQ. I'm reluctant to be the organizer, since I already was involved in the June event. I vote for Jeremy!!
lol.png
woot.gif

Quote:
L0L! I'm going to start researching places that can hold a good sized group. This might not happen soon, haha, but I'm going to look into it for sure!!

*goes back to google, diligently searching...*
caf.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We could do it at my house. Our back yard has a 1600 sq ft deck and we've had weddings with 250 people there. Only thing is we had a case of meraks last year so people would have to wash their shoes when they get home. Really meraks is everywhere

Cheryl and Jeremy, you should start a new thread about getting a meetup going in the Bay Area. Don't forget to put a link to the thread in your sig line so you advertise it whenever you post!

We made it to the fair Sunday. I thought the Fur and feathers exhibit was a bit small this year too. It was definatly bigger in past years. Maybe it was because it was a month earlier than usual and people didnt have time to raise the birds to standard, and they couldnt prepare themselves due to the new time frame. Everyone travels w/family all summer, then comes home for school right when the fair usually is, so that could be why it was smaller.

One thing that disturbed me was, I saw a cornish on display that had a bunch of foamy white stuff in its eye, and it kept shaking its head and sneezing. Then a white silkie in the cage next to it started shaking its head and sneezing. I didnt know what to do, I was sooo worried that the chicken was sick, but I just didnt know what to do or who to ask about it. I hope it is ok and didnt make someone elses bird ill.

I scored at the Fur n Feathers though- At the end of the night, they give away all the chicks and started birds, so I got 5 , 16 day old chicks!! 4 were black Australorps, and one is a mystery colored EE. They came from a hatchery in Oregon, and they are in quarentine right now. I couldnt resist the chicks, they were sooo cute! I think they hatched them there at the fair, but I figure with so many other birds and people around, quarentine is still a good idea. (the chicks were far away from the bird I thought was sick)

All in all, we had a great time! I didnt get to meet any BYC'ers though- I think I got there too late, after 7 pm. Hopefully next year we will get a chance to meet and say hi and talk chickens!

Back
Top Bottom