MEGA confused! ID's GREATLY appreciated! (esp. on the Brahmas? if?)

Roux

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Middle of Nowhere, Iowa
Well, I got my hatchery order today & they shorted me some birds. Problem is, I can't quite figure out which ones!

Here's what I ordered:
Salmon Faverolles, gold & silver laced Wyandottes, Australorps, speckled Sussex, light & dark Brahmas, Barnevelders, barred Hollands & a single silver laced Cochin.

Here's what I got, along with my guessed based on pics I've looked up online:

1. (guessing these are the Australorps - please correct me if I'm wrong)
australorps1.jpg

australorps2.jpg

2. (my guess: salmon faverolles, again, please correct me!)
faverolles1.jpg

faverolles2.jpg

3.(I'm guessing these are my 2 silver-laced & 1 gold-laced Wyandottes?)
wyandotte1.jpg

wyandotte2.jpg

wyandotte3.jpg

4.The "I haven't the foggiest" - feather-legged chicks (could these be my Brahmas? ARE they even Brahmas?):
dunno1.jpg

dunno2.jpg

5.The "I haven't the foggiest" - clean-legged chicks (I'm assuming my Barnevelders & Sussex):
notsure.jpg

notsure2.jpg

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

I am HAPPY to take more pics if that helps!

Last edited:
1,2,and 3 are all correct I think 4 are the dark brahms and 5 are the barnvelders sorry you got shortchanged hopefully this can get worked out.

Henry

my guess on pic 4 - the bottom one is either a black or silver laced, not sure about the top

pic 5 bottom pic is speckeled sussex i'm sure of that

Last edited:
The featherlegged chicks are Golden and Silver Laced Cochins. The clean legged ones look to be Speckled Sussex. You should check McMurray or another hatchery and look at the pics of the chicks they offer and compare.

~Casey

Quote:
Oh man...I was only supposed to receive ONE cochin this order, as well as 3 light & 2 dark Brahmas. I've looked on several sites including McMurray, and some of the chicks just look too similar for me to tell apart. I'm still new at this & haven't learned all the nuances that help to determine one breed from another, especially this young.
sad.png

Still open to input, as I'm trying to get this straightened out on my next order!!!

Last edited:
#4 looks a lot like the brahma chick I had last year. I thought cochins had a lot denser feathering on the legs? To me they were a lot more "fluffy" than the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom