Megabacteria Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Echobabe, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Well, this is new so I thought I'd share with you all. Violet is an 18 month old hen who has had watery diarrhea for about 5-6 weeks. The first fecal showed no parasites, no protozoa. But the vet said to treat as a bacterial infection because of the extreme watery droppings and the fact her appetite was off. Also to make sure her crop is clearing; look for infection in the crop. That started 10 days on Duramycin. And yes, her crop was not working well (couldn't tell easily until I brought her in the house a couple days and held back food overnight). So we fed her oil for 4 days and massaged--luckily, that finally worked and crop cleared [​IMG]

But she still had this horrid diarrhea, was excessively thirsty, and she still wasn't eating except for forced feedings. She's 18 months, but her symptoms fit cocci, so I put her on amprolium 5 days. Finally! Her appetite is back and she's feeling perky. But still the diarrhea. So into the vet we go......

The vet agreed that cocci was part of what's going on, and the fecal was negative because I caught one when the virus wasn't shedding. Then he swabbed the crop and under microscope found megabacteria (aka Macrorhadbus or Avian Gastric Yeast). This is apparently making in rounds in backyard poultry as well as pet birds. Since there is no other post here describing Megabacteria, I am putting this in for the next person who is dealing with it.

I'll update this post in 14 days and let you know how Violet's treatment with nystatin goes (the other presecription option would have run me over $1,000!).

Megabacteria is not really a bacteria, but a type of fungus. It can take birds down very quickly. AND one paper I read contends that birds afflicted with megabacteria always have coccidiosis as a secondary condition. Here is some further readings:
    http://www.fourthcrossingwildlife.com/AvianGastricYeast-LesleyBaird.pdf
    http://www.anbc.iinet.net.au/downloads/megabacteria_update.pdf

2. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Yes, I read that post while looking for info on clearing her crop. She does not have trichomoniasis (canker) which is likely what was being treated with the monistat. I alternated between using olive oil and coconut oil (coconut is antifungal and antibacterial) for the crop massage.. Her crop was never sour, just impacted (likely from dehydation/poor appetite). It is possible that monistat/clotrimazole may also work on Megabacteria, but I did not find any supporting literature. This bug is just too new still--they still haven't even agreed on a name for it yet.

From the Australian research, birds can live with a small concentration of mega without any ill effect. But once their resistance gets challenged (by molt, rainy season, etc.) it can grow into a monster. I have lost 2 birds earlier this year that just died, with no outward symptoms other than they can't perch one night, huddled, fecal is negative & the next day or two dead. Of course now I am wondering if mega was my problem.

One thing for certain, always, always keep the ACV in your waterers and keep pushing the yogurt and kefir to keep the gut flora healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by