Melamine In Chinese Chicken Feed passes thru to Eggs, Products, Meat.

HeartlanderMom

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
From Scientific American (and other places, just google it) They've confirmed that Chinese eggs and dried-egg products are turning up with high levels of melamine in the eggs. Okay, sucks to be them, but honestly, this is the type of reason I have gone against my HOA to have my own chooks. So now the question becomes: shouldn't we check the sources for the ingredients of our feed? I personally use Dumor but I also know it's milled with locally sourced materials. It's what's available to me around here in Suburbia. Does anyone know if there's any feed manuf's who source ingredients from China? CREEPY! Oh, here's the article I am referencing.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=china-urged-to-halt-melam

Judith & Crew
(7hens 2dogs 2kids + Chook-Lovin' DH)
Under Cover in Suburbia near Columbus OH

Just yesterday, I was looking at buying a big tub of dried mealworms. Almost as an afterthought, I decided to find out where the mealworms originate. Sure enough, the answer was China. Needless to say, I didn't buy them!

There's been a recall of Halloween candy that contains Melamine too.

Those chocolate "Pirate Coins" by Sherwood Brands Foods.

Quote:
I didn't know it was in candy too. I thought they were using the melamine to make it look like the protein levels were higher than they really were.
I honestly think we should stop importing their products.Everybody knows the U,S. could use the business. Will

Yep, it has been found in candy, too. Anything with milk, including chocolate. Just recently, another candy from China called "White Rabbit" was also recalled. My SIL had sent my kids a bunch of it from NYC. Fortunately, I didn't trust it because of where it was produced so I threw it in the trash before my kids ate it!
lol.png

I don't get it. This has got to be so costly, making stuff over there and then having it recalled, why don't businesses get the clue and start makin stuff in the USA again?? Don't they realize how much money that little "MADE IN THE USA" tag is worth nowadays???

Quote:
You are obviously too young to remember the pinto - a car that had the bad habit of exploding if it got into a rear end collision. Detroit did a cost analysis & figured out it was better to leave the car on the market & deal with potential lawsuits then to recall the cars.

Business/Corporations do not have your best interest @ heart. They are bound by law to make as much money for the shareholders as possible. The melamine was put in deliberately so that when the "product" was tested it would show up as nitrogen which is how they measure the protein content. So with milk they could water it down add melamine & get a better bang for the $.

It's all about the $ honey. Corporations will not bring jobs back to America - Americans want too much $ per hour & that cuts into their profit margin.

Quote:
People in the USA can't live on $6.00 a day.Companys would rather have workers overseas for the cheap labor,poor benefits if any,and the laxed saftey codes,then bring the product back over here for the American pricetag.Many companys have multiple factories overseas and just keep 1 plant in the US then they can say they are still an American company and get perks and grants.
The Made in USA tag is worthless if nobody can afford to buy it. The Free Trade Act should be The Fair Trade Act. Will

Back
Top Bottom