Melanistic grey leg goose??

the_finch_family

Songster
Dec 15, 2022
East iceland
Hey, so people on a bird watching fb group I'm part of have been losing their collective shit over this goose. Have any of you seen a grey leg goose like this? I've seen some pied ones, some that crossed with domestic ones, but never this.
Theres allegedly 2 of them in the area, but im not 100% sure.
FB_IMG_1680796800578.jpg
Screenshot_20230405-215833_Facebook.jpg

Absolutly beautiful!

Where has this bird been seen?

I’d love if some researches could get a dna sample for comparison studies. Especially if it could give us some clues of how to replicate the mutation in domestic geese. I’d love some black goosies!

Hey, so people on a bird watching fb group I'm part of have been losing their collective shit over this goose. Have any of you seen a grey leg goose like this? I've seen some pied ones, some that crossed with domestic ones, but never this.
Theres allegedly 2 of them in the area, but im not 100% sure.
View attachment 3457577View attachment 3457578
Something about this one’s slightly scrappy looking feathers look like juvenile feathers to me. Maybe this is a young one.

Absolutly beautiful!

I’d love if some researches could get a dna sample for comparison studies. Especially if it could give us some clues of how to replicate the mutation in domestic geese. I’d love some black goosies!
In the capital area of Iceland. My boyfriend is driving to the capital in like 2 weeks, so I'm sending him on a wild goose chase lol
I NEED some feathers, and pictures.

Something about this one’s slightly scrappy looking feathers look like juvenile feathers to me. Maybe this is a young one.
That's what I thought too, but right after I made this post, I took a look at pictures of the pink leg geese here, and she looks a bit more like that species as far as her shape goes. Strange one to say the least

Absolutly beautiful!

I have no clue who to contact. I and some other people on the group are really scared she'll get shot once goose season starts... I've even considered just grabbing her before the season ngl

I have no clue who to contact. I and some other people on the group are really scared she'll get shot once goose season starts... I've even considered just grabbing her before the season ngl
I feel the same, sadly a lot of hunters would see that one as the best trophies they could hope to get. In a perfect world she’d be much better off free in the wild, if it weren’t for humans.

Something we can do is spread the word, if as many birders as possible are aware and out looking for this one it may help to keep hunters from targeting it, hopefully.

I feel the same, sadly a lot of hunters would see that one as the best trophies they could hope to get. In a perfect world she’d be much better off free in the wild, if it weren’t for humans.

Something we can do is spread the word, if as many birders as possible are aware and out looking for this one it may help to keep hunters from targeting it, hopefully.
That's what we're doing right now. Hopefully it'll be enough. I also wonder if any of her babies will be black too. I'll be kept updated through FB for sure since everyone seems to be obsessed with this girl 🤣

Back
Top Bottom