Melanotic

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! Is 'Melanotic' the correct term for black-skinned birds?

Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

mel·a·no·sis

n. pl. mel·a·no·ses
Abnormally dark pigmentation of the skin or other tissues, resulting from a disorder of pigment metabolism. Also called melanism.

mela·notic (-ntk) adj.

The dictionary dosen't refer to chickens... usualy refers to darkening of the skin like a freckle. Of a dark melanin tumor...

***Funny, I think only like you, me, and three other people would care about what this term is in chickens! I saw a whole flock of buzzards on the side of the road and laughed so hard thinking about your 'build a buzzard project'! I thought, "If dipsy & I were friends I would call her up right now and see if she wants me to wrastle a couple of them for her & bring them over! Ha Ha! ***

Last edited:
Hi Eshanne! That made me laugh! It's never been a goal of mine that someone sees a flock of buzzards and thinks of me, but thanks
smile.png

I have so many great buzzard stories. We used to find at least one wounded on the road-side every weekend while on horseback and you just haven't lived til you've been upchucked on by a wounded buzzard. They are really cool birds. But anyway...

What made me ask is, I have these great really black-skinned chicks popping out from a project that wasn't directed toward dark/black-skin.
I was trying to think of a term for black-skinned birds that didn't make it sound like they were suffering from disease.

Thanks! Fibromelanosis sounds like an even more serious disease.
Is there a 'common term' for that?
Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

Melanotic is a different gene => Ml.
It is a black enhancer/melanizer that pushes black pigment towards rim and top of the feather, so it helps lacing, spangling etc...
A quail is a melanotic columbian.

It might have effect on skin (and legcolor) too.

While we are on the subject.... anyone know what the most "melanistic" breed of chicken is? Its not the langshan, sumatra, or java... I can't seem to figure it out, and someone has challenged me with a trivia question on another forum.

black silkies would be my guess. don't silkies have black skin and bones? PouletsDeCajun, i KNOW you'd be the one to ask about silkies! the more pigment in the skin and feathers, the more melanin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom