Melatonin Lowers Testosterone? (The true thread)

ssferret

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Knoxville, MD
I have a 1 year old rooster that is too aggressive with my hens. He won't dance or call them for food, he just sneaks up and jumps on them as they scream.

I know this is unacceptable but I raised him and we are both still attached to each other. I've become so desperate that I got him the Deslorelin (Suprelorin) implant even though it was a hit or miss on a sexually mature rooster.

After 6 days with no improvement I decided to give him away to a friend. As I was handing him over I started bawling. It didn't take much to be talked into keeping him and wait a little longer.

Two days later there was a big change. I would hear him calling for food, see a dance or two, and notice the hens' feathers growing back. There were also some that didn't mind being around him.

Unfortunately, as many of you know, there's no telling how long the hormone's effect will last as well as it being expensive. I was hoping there would be more of an effect on him so it the effects would last long enough between implants where I could afford it. Now I doubt it I will be that lucky.

I read on the forum that many roosters calm down between 18 mo to 2 years and just house him separately until he does. I will be doing that after a couple of modifications to the run.

Now about the melatonin. I came across a scientific study that was published in September of last year. The study involved roosters being given melatonin. It apparently decreases testosterone levels. (Beware of scientific jargon.)

As I worked in experimental studies, as I know some of you have, that although it's very promising it's somewhat incomplete. Questions that need to be answered:

1. Is this dose dangerous for the rooster given more time? If it is what dosage range?

2. Will weight and/or current testosterone levels be used to determine dosage? Anything else?

3. Would this work with all chicken breeds or just certain ones?

4. Is there a minimum and/or maximum age? Size?

5. What are the side effects? Percentage of roosters that show each side effects? Are any painful or dangerous?

6. etc...

Questions like these are why it usually takes so long to approve its use in certain areas.

Now, after all that, has anyone used melatonin on a hen or rooster for whatever reason? Were there any side effects? What dosage? What about anything you've used to increase melatonin levels?

I really don't want to use something that I'm not sure will be safe in the long run despite it being naturally found in the body... unless it's between life and death and devoid of pain.

I don't undersatnd the use of melatonin in poultry. I've never used it on my flock, but have used serrapeptase as an immune ststem enhancer and tryptophan as a calming agent to subdue feather picking.

Back
Top Bottom