Member numbers vs. actual user numbers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Katy, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Out of the almost 95,000 members

100 members have more than 5000 posts

1150 members have between 1000 and 5000 posts

1100 members have between 500 and 1000 posts

5200 members have between 100 and 500 posts

48,750 members have between 1 and 100 posts....the majority of these have less than 10 posts

38,650 members have no posts at all!!!!!!!!!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Interesting.

3. That's a lot of members with no posts.

I was wondering the other day how many members have multiple BYC names / accounts.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It seems fairly typical to me.

I've been on one sort of discussion board or another since I came over from the Usenet back about 1998. There are always a handful of people with an enormous amount of posts (board staff not included), a group three to four times the size of the first that have a lot of posts, a third group still larger who have a handful to a fair number of posts, but by far once the board is over a year old most of the membership will have less than ten or twelve posts and many of them will have one to none. Many create an account, look around a bit then never come back and the rest simply prefer to lurk. Lurking is where it's at for quite a lot of the Internet population even on boards where there is no particular need for anonymity.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Interesting. I'm not a super frequent poster but I check in here several times a day.

6. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

I Am One Of The 100!!!!!!! Yay Me!

7. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

That's redonkerous!

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Interesting...I am fairly new...(only 4 weeks) but i am helping out every chance i can [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The vet tech at the clinic where I take my cats recognised my BYC T-shirt. She's a member, but only 1 post in 2009. She said she does come here occasionally and use search.

Imp

10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have noticed that many of the people that bid on the auctions are not active posters. So, I wonder if a lot of people just sign up so they can bid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by