Members not getting email subscription notifications - please read and reply with details

You can always open up another email address with gmail, yahoo, etc... Gmail seems to play very nice with BYC. Then go into your profile and change your email address.

I participate in other forums that specifically forbid all gmail because they say that's where the bulk of the spam accounts are generated. Beats me. Between work, personal and church, I already have 4 different accounts. It's really not that big of a deal. Just confusing to me that this is the only forum that I have an issue getting emails using my AOL personal account.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten an email notification since my last one on July 8th at 6:34pm and it was a PM notif... my email is gmail and has never had this issue before... please can you check into this for me? Thanks...

I haven't gotten an email notification since my last one on July 8th at 6:34pm and it was a PM notif... my email is gmail and has never had this issue before... please can you check into this for me? Thanks...

:frow
Did you try all these steps first?

If you are NOT getting emails from BYC, do ALL of the following:
Triple check your spam filters to see if the BYC emails have gone there.
Triple check your subscription settings here on BYC to make sure you are subscribed to the item you want to receive notifications on.
Triple check the new email preferences setting in your profile
Add [email protected] to your email system's address book, whitelist, safe-sender list, etc.
If possible, test a different email address with a different provider. Some email providers (AOL for example) are notorious for not being super friendly to BYC and many other sites.
If after doing ALL the steps above, reply to this post with a note that you've 100% done steps 1-5 above and let us know the day and time of your last email, and type (pm notification, thread subscription, etc.) of emails you are and are not getting from BYC.

Did you try all these steps first?

Triple check your spam filters to see if the BYC emails have gone there.
Triple check your subscription settings here on BYC to make sure you are subscribed to the item you want to receive notifications on.
Triple check the new email preferences setting in your profile
Add [email protected] to your email system's address book, whitelist, safe-sender list, etc.
If possible, test a different email address with a different provider. Some email providers (AOL for example) are notorious for not being super friendly to BYC and many other sites.
If after doing ALL the steps above, reply to this post with a note that you've 100% done steps 1-5 above and let us know the day and time of your last email, and type (pm notification, thread subscription, etc.) of emails you are and are not getting from BYC.

Hi, York! Congrats, btw! :D

Yep, I did... still was nothing... went back into settings, switched everything over to 'Site Only', saved and went out... went back switched back to 'Email Notifs Immediately', saved and went out... got a couple emails then it stopped again... went back into settings and random subscriptions were back to 'Site Only'...

Switched to 'Email immediately' again and waiting to see what happens now...

I swear I feel like I'm in Ghost in the Machine, lol...

Hi, York! Congrats, btw! :D

Yep, I did... still was nothing... went back into settings, switched everything over to 'Site Only', saved and went out... went back switched back to 'Email Notifs Immediately', saved and went out... got a couple emails then it stopped again... went back into settings and random subscriptions were back to 'Site Only'...

Switched to 'Email immediately' again and waiting to see what happens now...

I swear I feel like I'm in Ghost in the Machine, lol...

Thank you :D A ghost LOL!

If they stop again please do post back with the last one you received.
:fl resetting them has done the trick!

Thank you :D A ghost LOL!

If they stop again please do post back with the last one you received.
:fl resetting them has done the trick!

I'm getting some, but they're weird, lol... like you quoted me but it only said 'thread was updated by' not 'quoted you'... :confused:

Ah, well... guess it's that time I had weird stuff go on, lol... I just don't want to miss tags for help anymore...

Hey everybody!

BYC has over 150,000 members using hundreds of email providers. We send out a TON of email to members every day, many of which are subscriptions to posts, private message notifications, etc.

Once in a while an email may not get delivered to the recipient. There are hundreds of potential causes for this, but here a few main reasons:

1. Our system didn't send an email because a user is not subscribed to the item or they are unsubscribed from receiving all email (see below).
  2. After our system sends the email it is lost in one of the bazillion of touch points on it's way to your computer
  3. Your ISP (email provider, internet provider) may be blocking BYC's emails
  4. Your email system and/or software may be marking BYC's email as spam.

We've found times where members have come up as "unsubscribed" to ALL emails from BYC. This happens for a few reasons, including:

1. You click the link in an email from BYC that says "stop receiving ALL email from us (including private message notifications), please use our one-click unsubscribe." This removes you from ALL emails... PERMANENTLY.
  2. The emails to your host bounce. After our email system receives a handful of bounced emails (meaning your service provider isn't allowing the emails to get to your account) our system removes you from ALL emails.

For this use case we have a new feature:
Email Opt-In Now Visible to Users

We get lot of requests from users who mention they can't get email from the site anymore, only to learn that the user themselves clicked the global unsubscribe link in an email, thereby opting out of all site email.

We did some reorganization of the "Edit Account Details" page within the user profile to make things more transparent to users. You'll now see if they have opted out of all email, or only certain kinds. You'll also be able to opt back in yourselves!

new settings:

What it looks like when a user is opted out of all site email:

You just has to re-check that box to resume receiving site email. Remember that if you want to change individual content subscriptions, that's done on the Subscriptions page of the site.

1. Triple check your spam filters to see if the BYC emails have gone there.
  2. Triple check your subscription settings here on BYC to make sure you are subscribed to the item you want to receive notifications on.
  3. Triple check the new email preferences setting in your profile
  4. Add [email protected] to your email system's address book, whitelist, safe-sender list, etc.
  5. If possible, test a different email address with a different provider. Some email providers (AOL for example) are notorious for not being super friendly to BYC and many other sites.
  6. If after doing ALL the steps above, reply to this post with a note that you've 100% done steps 1-5 above and let us know the day and time of your last email, and type (pm notification, thread subscription, etc.) of emails you are and are not getting from BYC.

Again, we recognize that a relatively small percent of our members are having this problem but that it can be very frustrating for you. We thank you for you help and patience as we work through trying to fix these issues!
thank you for all the information. NONE of the above was done to
disconnect from ME. And I have had help and patience and I no
am receiving email THANKS to BYC Forum Friends.

I have been a loyal member for for MANY years and this is the
second or third or forth time this has happend in the last 2 years.
AND now I have a NEW APPLE very efficient computer. AND I did
NOT cause the issue. Thank you. Aria

Back
Top Bottom