Membrane dried out and chick can't pip out

Michele S

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 19, 2010
I have 20 eggs starting to hatch in my incubator. The first chick tried for over 24 hours to get out. It's membrane completely dried out and we ended up having to help it hatch. The second one has been trying to hatch for over 12 hours. I am afraid the humidity level is off in the incubator. I live in Nevada and we have like zero percent humidity, plus we are in a/c. What should I do, chicken experts?

No expert here, but you gotta get the humidity up. Use wet sponges or cloths under the wire. The larger the surface area of water, the higher the humidity will be.

Moisten a paper towel until it is damp, and wrap the egg in it, while leaving breathing room near the pip/zip. Also, wet the tip of your finger with warm water and rub it over exposed, dried membrane. Not too much, or you could drown the chick. You just want to be sure the membrane is moistened so it can work its way out.

i pulled one out, lay a warm wet wash rag on it to get it moistened and progressively peeled the membrane off it as it softened. It is scary and you may lose what is left in your bator - your call. (Some say the ones you help birth may be weaker - mine is fine now and healthy 8 weeks old
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom