Membrane hanging out of vent

Vampire Gardener

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
I have a Rhode Island Blue / Production Blue (this is a combination of a Blue Astralorp and a RI Red) that is 9 months old - RORY is her name.

She has what looks like an egg membrane hanging out of her vent. She was acting completely normal while foraging with the rest of the flock then she stopped and stood still. It is at this point I noticed she had a light colored tube looking object near her vent and poop on the ground next to her. I called the flock into the run with meal worms and all but her came. She stood there frozen/confused. I picked her up and put her in the coop shutting the door so the others couldn't get to her. She now seems okay moving around the coop and wants to be let back out with the others. She is eating and seems happy. The membrane is still hanging outside her vent. Should I pull or let it exit on its own?

When I came to look at her I saw a round red thing in her vent that turned or moved. I only saw this for a couple seconds. I came inside to research and learned about prolapse and egg membranes.

This all just happened 30 minutes ago (1pm EST on 1/27/2024).

She is the only bird and there is no bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Rory is my hen that was attacked by a hawk the day before Thanksgiving, healed and has been rereleased into the flock for more than a month. She hasn't laid an egg since the day after her attack but I think she is wanting to as I saw her checking out the nesting boxes yesterday.

She gets access to layer pellets, crumbles and water all day. She gets treats that include mealworms, greens from garden, organic apples (no seeds) & chicken scratch, eggplant, beauty berries and access to forage for at least an hour each day.

The poop that occurred at the time I noticed the membrane is light brown and grainy. See picture.

So far, I have isolated her as I didn't want other chickens to peck at her butt. I applied a warm compress and took pictures. I gave her wet crumbles and she started to eat.

I would prefer to handle myself but I will consult a vet when needed. My run has leaves and there is pine bedding in the coop.

Advice would be appreciated.
IMG_9122.jpg
IMG_9123.jpg

Pull it gently and give her a calcium citrate or tums tablet
I got it out and attached a picture. The Pine Bedding is from the coop not her insides. Is there a chance there is more? Nothing is sticking out. I have tums but they are flavored, is that a problem? THANKS!

I'm planning to return to the flock as soon as I give her a tums, any reason I should keep her separated for a while?

IMG_9124.jpg

I got it out and attached a picture. The Pine Bedding is from the coop not her insides. Is there a chance there is more? Nothing is sticking out. I have tums but they are flavored, is that a problem? THANKS!

I'm planning to return to the flock as soon as I give her a tums, any reason I should keep her separated for a while?

View attachment 3735097
No reason to seperate her, flavored tums is fine.
I'd recommend cutting back on the treats, too many can cause these types of issues.

Update for anyone with similar issue.

Rory was attacked and stopped laying while she was healing. The soft membrane egg thing I pulled out was her first attempt at laying after her body healed. I couldn't get her to take tums so I planned to go to tractor supply the next morning but she popped out a normal egg the next morning and has been doing well ever since. I didn't need to separate. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom