Membrane too tough for hatching chick

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Colorado Plains
The last couple of hatches of chicks from my own eggs were rough. Several chicks pipped and tore the shell but couldn't get through the membrane and died.

(1) Is the membrane too tough? If so, what can I do to make it less strong ... starting all the way to what I feed the hens that lay the egg.

(2) Is the chick just too weak? If so, again, what can I do to help the hens lay eggs that make stronger chicks?

Right now a friend is using his incubator to hatch the eggs. He works so he can't be there to help the chicks 24/7... when they start to hatch. He helps those he can but meanwhile ... need to know how to make stronger chicks and less-strong membranes.

I'm collecting eggs for another hatch right now. I've backed off the bread treats, and are strictly feeding laying feed (Nutrena NatureWise Layer Pellets ... 20% protein). Each pen of chickens get to free-range in my backyard about 4 hours a day. I did give them whole oats last night. And I want to give them cabbage today. Every 3-4 days I add a little bit of vitamins to their water.

We'd appreciate any info you have.

Thanks.

I keep my humidity at 50% then raise it to 60-65% during the last three days. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
====

The last batch was (1) black australorp hens with rooster, (2) egger hen with egger roo, and (3) ameraucana roo with egger hens.

This batch is (1) an egger roo with black australorp hens and (2) ameraucana roo with egger hens.

====

Still waiting for response from incubator friend on humidity level during incubation and hatch.

====

Kathy: GREAT link! Wish I'd had found that a year ago!

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom