Memorial Day

sgtmom52

Birds & Bees
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
Northern York County ~ Pennsylvania
If you are having any difficulty in remembering why you have a three-day weekend, drive by Prospect Hill Cemetery, in York, PA to see a representation of some of those who paid for it with their lives. Each flag represents a member of the military who lost their life in Iraq or Afganistan.

So many people have no idea why we "celebrate" the holidays that we do. I hope that this weekend, everyone takes a moment to remember those that served in our military. Also remember to fly your flag at half staff from dawn until noon then full staff the rest of the day.

I was curious behind why the flag is at 1/2 mast until noon and then raised.
http://www.livescience.com/9923-flag-staff-noon-memorial-day.html

For 142 years, Americans have taken the last Monday in May to remember those who have died in our wars. Like all deaths honored by the state, flags fly at half-staff. However, on Memorial Day, the U.S. flag only flies at half-staff for the first half of the day, and then is raised to full height from noon to sundown. This unique custom honors the war dead for the morning, and living veterans for the rest of the day.

No one knows the exact date this tradition began, but an Army regulations book from 1906 carries instructions for the procedure, so it predates the 20th Century, said Clark Rogers, executive director of the National Flag Foundation. In 1924, Congress codified the tradition into U.S. Code Title 4, Section 6, with the proclamation, “For the nation lives, and the flag is a symbol of illumination,” explaining how the noon flag-raising symbolizes the persistence of the nation in the face of loss, Rogers told Life’s Little Mysteries.

“The first part of the day honors those who sacrificed, and the second part of the day honors those who are still with us,” Rogers said.

I was curious behind why the flag is at 1/2 mast until noon and then raised.
http://www.livescience.com/9923-flag-staff-noon-memorial-day.html
For 142 years, Americans have taken the last Monday in May to remember those who have died in our wars. Like all deaths honored by the state, flags fly at half-staff. However, on Memorial Day, the U.S. flag only flies at half-staff for the first half of the day, and then is raised to full height from noon to sundown. This unique custom honors the war dead for the morning, and living veterans for the rest of the day.
No one knows the exact date this tradition began, but an Army regulations book from 1906 carries instructions for the procedure, so it predates the 20th Century, said Clark Rogers, executive director of the National Flag Foundation. In 1924, Congress codified the tradition into U.S. Code Title 4, Section 6, with the proclamation, “For the nation lives, and the flag is a symbol of illumination,” explaining how the noon flag-raising symbolizes the persistence of the nation in the face of loss, Rogers told Life’s Little Mysteries.
“The first part of the day honors those who sacrificed, and the second part of the day honors those who are still with us,” Rogers said.

thumbsup.gif

When flying the flag at half mast...

Begin by first raising the flag to full mast.

You can only then drop to half-mast position.

When lowering the flag you shall again raise it to full flag,
then lower it.

The flag is never to be raised to half-mast.

I'm feeling a little bitter-sweet this Memorial Day weekend. My youngest baby brother just had his graduation at Parris Island, with an award for High Shooter. My 2nd (older than the baby) lil brother is a Lance Cpl in the Corps. He deployed last month to the sandbox.
I'm so proud of both of them and I know that my step-dad would be proud of his boys if he was alive today. But, they are my baby brothers so I worry about them. I'm not sure when they became old enough to be serving our country.

I'm feeling a little bitter-sweet this Memorial Day weekend. My youngest baby brother just had his graduation at Parris Island, with an award for High Shooter. My 2nd (older than the baby) lil brother is a Lance Cpl in the Corps. He deployed last month to the sandbox.
I'm so proud of both of them and I know that my step-dad would be proud of his boys if he was alive today. But, they are my baby brothers so I worry about them. I'm not sure when they became old enough to be serving our country.
I would like to thank your family for it's service to this fine country and I will be praying for their safety during their service.

Back
Top Bottom