Memorial, for my beautiful Amelia.

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
I have had something very trgic happen my ducks....... Yesterday was like any other day, went down to the duck pen to let them out for the day, as usual they were all eager to get straight out on the lake. I have two mothers that sat on the same nest and were very good with each other, they hatched out 9 ducklings, and teamed up together to raise their brood. One was a blue fawn Australian call named Amelia, and the other a snowy call named Harley, Amelia was the most feirce mother that I had ever witnessed with all the mothers that I have had, she would not tolerate anything coming to close, she attacked a full grown male peacock for sticking his beak a little to close for comfort! Harley was more reserved and would prefer to hide her ducklings, and only attack if absolutely neccessary, but small ducks can only do so much.

I had gone to work so wasn't here but my father and my housemate were here. And all the rest of the story I was told when I had returned late that afternoon. Ashley (housemate) noticed them not at the house for their lunchtime feed, which was very unusual for them, so he decided to go looking for them, he looked all around the lake , and no sign of them. So he decided to head through the bush where recent rain had flooded through that area, he walked about 300 meters and found a big pile of feathers, they were Amelia's, he continued through the bush and much further down he found Harley and 3 ducklings hiding at the base of a big gum tree in the long grass, he said she was terrified, she would'nt move had was making really soft alarm calls to her ducklings. Finally Harley headed cautiously home, obviously feeling alot safer with Ashley there, about thirty meters past the pile of feathers in the direction of home, Ashley spotted Amelia paralised with her back skinned, dragging herself with her beak through the mud trying to get home ( this broke my heart) the 3 ducklings and Harley heard her and ran to reunite with her, she made happy motherly noises, I seeing them really calmed her, Ashey scooped her up and she still was trying to bite him, they continued home and from out the bushes ran 2 more ducklings, unscaved, they quickly joined Harley and the other 3. When they got back home one duckling was hiding inside one of the chicken nesting boxes..... he made it home all alone!! Ashley locked them up and ran back to search for the remaining 3 ducklings, he eventually found them all dead with thier eye balls hanging out of thier heads ( tears where just streaming down my face when I saw them) He rushed Amelia to the vet with one duckling for comfort, but she died on the way, I loved this duck so much, and her story is so heartbreaking, such a beautiful girl ... so brave, if it wasn't for the team effort I don't think any of them would be alive, Haley has several pucture wounds on her and she is not herself, but she is on atibiotics, so I pray she will be ok. Haven't had this happen before, but I still feel as though if I haden't of let them out they would all be alive..... Amelia I will never forget you, you brave little girl RIP
48408_family_pics_and_new_house_024.jpg

2 pics of Amelia, and bottom pic of Her with Harley.
48408_blue_fawn_call_duck.jpg

48408_more_duck_photos_001_21.jpg

hugs.gif
Oh Bemba, I am so sadened to read of your sad loss. So soon after moving to such a beautiful place where your ducks had so much room to forage, its shocking that the idealic setting has now got this gloomy memory surrounding it.

My thoughts are with you, your housemate and father and the poor duckies that were witness to the terrible thing that has happened.

Thanks guys, I just needed for her memory to live on somehow, and to tell my story, all my friends don't understand the bond between man and duck, I think because I lost my mother at 13 of lung cancer, I really don't deal with death very well, they are more than just ducks to me, they are my little mates, thanks guys means alot
hugs.gif

I too had a recent loss of one of my beautiful little teals. I am so sorry for your loss. Isn't it amazing how much we can love these little animals. Ducks are just so sweet and harmless. RIP Amelia, at least she knew she was loved.

What a heartbreaking yet touching story. She fought and surely it was because of her valiant effort and tenacity that some of her chicks survived. They are her legacy. So sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom