1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meniscus Tear

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by herfrds, Dec 22, 2013.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Anybody have this injury before?

It happened on Tuesday. Got paged for a vehicle accident and as I started running something popped in my right knee. I made the call and after I left the ambulance barn I let my boss know I was going to the walk in clinic to see what I did.
    Have had trouble with this knee since August.

Saw the Doctor and he said he was pretty sure I had a meniscus tear. The x-rays did not show anything and he wanted me back either on Thursday or Friday. Put me in a knee brace and on crutches. Said if I could do desk work I could go back to work. No desk work at my job.

Went back on Friday and saw another Doctor. They ordered an MRI but the place it is done at everyone was gone. They are going to try to get me in ASAP.

I am off work til they can figure out when I can get the MRI done and then find out more of what is going on. Knee is still swollen. Have tried to walk without the crutches, but hurts like fire.

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I have had minor tears to both my knees over the last few years. The last time was my right knee, and the Orthopedist told me he could do arthroscopic surgery to clean it out. He gave me a steroid injection and with some rest, it resolved on its own. Glad I didn't opt for surgery. My brother had the surgery a couple of years ago, and now he is having the same problem again. Once in while, I still have pain and soreness in my knees, which is tolerable and I can live with. Sounds as though you had a more severe tear than I did. An MRI is really the only way to see how severe the tear is and the appropriate interventions. Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better!

3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    It depends on how severe your tear is. For some its keeping it wrapped , stable & Ice with some P.T at some point & others are surgical. Best of luck - it can be a frustrating injury.

4. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Thanks for the replies!

It is fustrating. I feel bad for my co-workers because we were already down 2 people and now I am out too.
    Would really like to get back to work. Not going to push it though.

5. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    MRI is scheduled for the 31st.
    Made it back to work on the 24th. Mainly worked the till. Cannot walk a lot. Can feel something grind when I move wrong or something pops.
    Off today and tomorrow.

6. BrendaJ

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    I feel your pain. We take our bodies for granted most of the time - then we get sick or hurt & it makes us step up & take notice. Rest & ice for now. Get the tests done & see whats needed. Recovery can be long but its worth it to get back to normal or as close to normal as possible.

I had an injury earlier in the year to where i broke my right finger - a spiral fracture ( very cool radiographs ) . So that required surgery - 3 screws placed & off work for a couple weeks then light duty for several more along with P.T so i could regain motion again. - uuuggg. I am right handed as well to make that experience just a little funner lol. There were times i wanted to poke my eye out due to all of my restrictions. It will be worth it in the end though - trust me.
    Take care & hope you recover fast :)

7. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Thanks Brenda. Just doing laundry is a real trial. Trying to not walk a lot but sometimes I cannot help it.

Really weird I stood up the other night and could see a deep indention in my knee where the pain is at. Had the test and just waiting to hear what the results are.

8. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Still waiting to hear about the MRI. Hope I hear at least by Monday. Yes I have called them twice and left messages.

9. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    FINALLY! Heard from the doctor this morning. The MRI showed no tears in my meniscus, muscles, tendons or ligaments in my knee! So that was good news! It did show arthritis though. Doctor did say that the pop I felt could have been a tendon that got out of alinement and then snapped back into place.
    As for the pain that I get after walking or standing for a long time the Doctor wants me to go to physical therapty to see if that corrects it.
    asked if I could go back to work and the Doctor wanted to see if the therapty will help first.

10. BrendaJ

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    That is great news. Sprains & strains are very painful so dont sugar coat it or feel bad for not being able to do things. If you keep things irritated your might be looking at a tear in the future. PT is the way to go. They can show you ways to stengthen your problem areas. Best of luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by