Men's work - generation differences

Quote:
Huh. Those are all the qualifications of what my husband always weenies out of and makes ME do. "Oh, but you're so much better at it!"
tongue.png

Well he did clean one incredibly awful cloth diaper once that I was going to just throw out.

But, aside from that
tongue.png

Pat

We use cloth diapers on our daughter too, he has left a few nasty ones for me to clean that he conveniently "forgot" about earlier in the day.

I also get the "Oh, but you're so much better at it!" a lot too, sadly I usually fall for it because it's true!

hah, this makes me smile. As for the wife using the hubbys tools, this cracks me up. Most of the tools are mine! And when I started this chicken coop I splurged and bought a really nice set of cordless Rigid brand tools. It was worth every penny!

My mother's father died when she was only 13. She was the youngest of 6 kids. My grandmother at that time didn't even know how to drive a car. She quickly learned and from that point on she did EVERYTHING herself. Between my mom and my grandmother they always instilled in me you better know how to do it yourself! And if you want it done and done when and the way you want it then DO IT YOURSELF.

With my hubby being in the coast guard and frequently away (he just retired) I frequently had to do it all myself so it was good they prepared me. I am teaching my beautiful 11 year old dd the same thing.

29542_chicks-1.jpg

I have to laugh a little about my MIL as well. When DH and I got married (second time around for both of us) we were already living together as a blended family to include his mom. We also had the agreement that inside chores were mine and outside chores were his. We all know how long that lasted. Don't get me wrong, he does help, but when it comes to who is the "workhorse" of us, it is me. Anyway, my MIL was very surprised about the things that I could do. The lifting heavy things, pounding nails, fixing washers, fixing plumbing, etc. It got to the point after living together for years, that if she had asked DH more than a few times to do something for her (DH's middle name is Roundtuit
wink.png
) she would "mention" to me that she had asked him to do whatever job knowing that I would take care of it. She may have thought that I was doing "man's work" but that really came in handy when she needed her bathroom faucet replaced.
lol.png

ETA - most of the power tools that we own are mine that I bought and paid for so he can't tell me not to touch them
gig.gif

Last edited:
I hope this works, I tried to add a picture, haven't done it before, but this is my coop to be. We just finished sinking all of the posts in concrete. We are putting this up pole barn style, will put a slanted roof, and T111 board on the sides. We are splitting this into 3 rooms, 2 coops (one on each end with door between the two that can open or close depending if I want the coops communicating. Also in the center will be a garden room probably 6 x 6 or 6 x 8 that I will have flaps to access the nests, so I don't have to go in the coop to get the eggs all of the time. Thinking a light color to paint it, with dark green trim, we get pretty hot up here on the ridge, so I don't want the entire building to be dark.

84545_spring_2011.jpg

Below is the little pen I built to take my little ones out on warm days. Right now it is a little too breezy and cold to have them out, the 87 degree Sunday we just had was the first time I could use it. The roof slides off, it is heavy, has an open bottom. I hope hoping I will be able to take a hen or two into the garden to weed a 2 x 4 area while I work in the rest of the garden without them destroying other things. We'll see.

84545_spring_2011_159.jpg

Last edited:
I don't even want to think about what your mother in law would say if she could see what goes on in our home every Saturday morning: it's my husband, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping all of the floors!

Thanks for the great stories. My MIL is still amazed that I can use power tools and 2 that DH never says a word about it. I don't understand my MIL grew up on a farm where everyone helped. She has just gotten to city folked lately I guess.
gig.gif
I love the projects that DH and I do together plus all the kids help which is great. Everyone had a job to do on the coop, from both DS's taking apart the pallets to both DD's painting the coop. I don't do much heavy lifting now that I have the problems with my back (lower spinal arthritis that is degenerative) luckily I have 2 sons for those jobs. I do use a wagon that my DH got for me so I can move objects around where I need them helps so I don't hurt my back.

My dh and I don't work well together. He always tried to do things the WRONG way and then we argue.
lol.png

Best if I just take care of it myself. He is the first to admit he is not handy but I think he uses it as a crutch to NEVER learn.
tongue.png

When we moved from Juneau to Eagle River our deal was I tape off the windows everything on the outside of the house and he would spray paint it. Well, after he used 2 gallons of paint on one little section and it had horrible drips and runs...I took over. Now mind you I had already painted the entire inside of the house, stained trim and stained the new bifold laundry doors too. Plus put up new light fixtures and a few other things.

I was raised as the oldest daughter of a single mother. I spent a number of years as a single mother myself. If I didn't do it, there wasn't anyone who could! Add that to the fact that I am career military, and I guess I have spent a good portion of my life doing "mens work". I actually kind of like the double take I get from people when they find out that I work on cars and build shelves and sheds and things. I still have to roll my eyes at them a little, but it is fun to mess with peoples gender assumptions!

Back
Top Bottom