Men's work - generation differences

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
This is a silly story, generational difference of opinion on man's work and probably some comment on the fact that my mother in law was a city girl and i was raised in the country! Okay, we are building a 12 x 24 coop with a garden/egg collecting room in middle to collect eggs from both sides of coop and me to store garden stuff/feed, etc. My husband and I are almost 40, he is the baby in his family (youngest) and I am the oldest in mine and my parents were 20 when they had me. Our parents age difference is about 15 years. His family operated on the notion that women don't lift, do lawn work, move furniture, etc. My family worked on the notion if you are at home when there is work to be done, you pitched in regardless of gender. Actually, the women of my family are known to ask for help one time, if no help is coming we just do it ourselves (rather independent group we are). So, my husband and I have remodeled together, carried appliances together, built buildings together and occasionally I've helped on car work with him ( I lack the skills to do it on own). His mother is constantly appalled that I do the things I do around the property. At our old house she about fell over seeing me putting shingles on rooftop of our newly built shed.

So last night hubby was telling his mom that we building the coop, next weekend friends of ours (married couple) are coming to help us finish the coop. She said, I am glad you are getting help from a man, Jen shouldn't be lifting and doing that kind of thing. I didn't know what he was laughing about til he got off phone. I heard him say he will pass that on. She was serious and insistent that he agree with her. Of course we had both just come in from pouring (and mixing and lifting those bags) of concrete to get the shell of the building up. And , did I mention that I am well educated, work hard, raise kids, cook, enjoy crafts, (loving my new chicks) and love doing manual labor especially when it's our own project of something we really want!

Okay, silly story over, I know hubby appreciates the "help" as we build our farm around us, My mother in law will never change and I will continue to do yard work, lift bags of concrete, salt, feed and anything else I want or need to do while I am able! My husband and I both love to mow lawn - peace while mowing and listening to music however I want- in fact more than once " you mowed last couple of times, it's my turn this time" is spoken at our house! Just telling a building chicken coop story. By the way I will post pics as soon as I am allowed -- and figure it out.

gig.gif
funny story about my MIL she came to visit, she had bought a mirror for the kids bathroom. She was upset because DH was at work and we would have to wait to put up the mirror. Not me I went grabbed his drill the screw drive bit and headed to the bathroom found the studs hung the mirror put the tools away no problem. My DH walks in the house and my MIL meets him at the door and says you won't believe what your wife did today, she used your power tools. My DH looks at me and says what did you do I hung the mirror he says great one less project for me. His mother is still standing there shocked that he is not mad that I touched his tools.
gig.gif
gig.gif
We do a lot of projects together it great fun. I don't think his mom has ever even used a hammer.

I've met / known many people with the same attitude as your mother in law. People sometimes stop their cars to stare as they are driving by if I am doing woodworking or yard work in the front yard (I live in an urban/suburban area) If I would wait for my husband to do these things they would NOT get done. He works very long hours and besides for that I am the "handy" one in the family. My kids know that the tools are "Mommy's"
smile.png

Good for you!
thumbsup.gif
from a mans perspective, I see nothing wrong with it as long as you like it! In our home, the typical roles are reversed, my wife works almost 60 hours a week, me only 30-40, so I do about 75 percent of the house work and she does all the outdoor st..... Wait a minute,
hu.gif
I do all the outdoor stuff too!

My neighbors have been slowing down and watching me work on my coop all by myself for over a month now. None have ever stopped but they sure do a long look when I am out on the roof our when I was raising walls.

It sure is nice to know how to do things by yourself and not have to rely on others.

Last week I was building a chicken tractor. My husband helped me cut some angled boards, because he knows how to do it on the big saw and I haven't figured that out yet. So anyways, later, he came back out, and I was getting frustrated with the building, and I blurted out......."this is man's work! I'm m supposed to COOK the chickens, YOU build their coops!!" LOL, but really, I don't mind doing some of it, but since I do 100% of the housework, I guess I kinda do feel building, car repairs, and all yard work except my gardens should be his work.

That is a funny story!

Luckily my in-laws don't care about that- my MIL is handier than my FIL. That's a trait my husband picked up from his father, and my dad is a contractor so I do all the handy work (when my dad lets me, he lives next door) and all the lawn work (I love that it gets me outside). I also work 40 hrs a week and bring home the $ and health insurance. My husband works a part time job (early AM), stays home with our daughter some and runs his own business (nights & weekends). It works for us, even though some people don't quite get it!

Yard work is my happy time, no one bothers me when I'm on the riding mower, just me and my iPod!
woot.gif

My wife gladly proclaims "boy job" in any of the following circumstances:
-it requires heavy lifting
-it requires advanced handyman skills, or
-it's gross

Right after we got married, we bought a house on 20 acres. My husband said to me "I'll do all the outside chores and you do all the inside chores." Somehow, I ended up cleaning the inside of the house, making all the meals, doing all the laundry, sweeping out the garage, mowing the lawn (3 acres), taking out the garbage, helping to mix and pour a new sidewalk, weeding the gardens, trimming the shrubs, shoveling the snow off the sidewalks in winter, killing the wasp nests, ...

I learned quickly, if I wanted it done to do it myself.
However, I also learned that I really like to mow the yard, when you have a riding lawnmower that is.

Back
Top Bottom