Mental Health Thread

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
Hey guys, I don't know if this has already been done on here, but I'd like to start a mental health thread.
This thread is for people to post stories of their mental health issues to let people know they are not alone, and for people to just help eachother out when in a rough spot.

I only recommend sharing your stories if you are completely comfortable in doing so, and I want all stories to solely be for the purpose of sharing experiences and helping eachother out. No one should be judged in the slightest.

Alternatively, I propose that if you dont have a story to share or don't want to share a story and also want to help others who are having a tough time, just leave a reply saying that you are here to help and can be someone to talk to.
That way if anyone isn't comfortable with sharing but still needs a friend to talk to on here they know who they can message.

This thread is for ANYONE. Whether you're a teen suffering from anxiety or someone older who doesn't know how to handle the mental changes coming with age.

This is to bring awareness that anyone can suffer from mental illness, even a 42 year old woman who raises chickens for a living or a 20 year old who just joined for a single question about some hobby chickens and is now feeling like they could use someone to talk to.

Its also to bring awareness to the multitude of mental illnesses out there, so people know they are not alone.

It doesn't matter how small, I want this to be where anyone can share what they're going through or find someone to talk them through it.

So many people don't understand mental health issues! They think people should just get over it. Well I can tell you , Depression and Anxiety are just not issues you can handle with only we will power.
I agree, and people who are raised with this mindset think its weak or wrong to seek help. I think if we try reaching people on more platforms, such as here on a chicken site, then people won't feel so alone and know that its okay to ask for help

I think everyone is broken... each in their own unique way.

I think it is best to embrace the crazy broken that is within and aim not for some stupid unattainable "fixed" but just try our best to be functional.

Whoo ha for managing to wake up and breathe! :ya Excellent daily goal, ok if it is your only daily goal. ;)

Hear hear! Mental health is so important and overlooked; it's so easy to swing in either direction of the pendulum for self care. Asking for help and support is spooky but needed, and progress is never linear with these kinds of things.

I have really bad anxiety - at my worst a few months ago, I couldn't even drive my car to the grocery store without hyperventilating! It took a ton of work and a lot of asking for help to recover from it and I'm still not 100% some days and that's ok.

Hear hear! Mental health is so important and overlooked; it's so easy to swing in either direction of the pendulum for self care. Asking for help and support is spooky but needed, and progress is never linear with these kinds of things.

I have really bad anxiety - at my worst a few months ago, I couldn't even drive my car to the grocery store without hyperventilating! It took a ton of work and a lot of asking for help to recover from it and I'm still not 100% some days and that's ok.
Thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you. Sometimes we are just not okay, and thats completely okay! Even though asking for help is scary, sometimes its necessary to help you towards recovery

mental health is highly stigmitized and i believe those with it experiences it differently but all suffer in some degree. I personally got some problems to tackle during my life but i started raising chickens again this year and i think its really helped me in different ways. This thread is wonderful

Thank you for bringing this to the forum! Raising chickens has also had a very positive impact on my life and the lives of my children. It is truly a therapeutic experience for me, my partner, and our children on many levels! After many years of battling various aspects of mental health, I would say that the current greatest help of having chickens including a rooster and ducks is how it starts my morning. I get up in the morning every morning, which is a big deal in itself, and I get up without anxiety, which allows me to not go back to bed but rather go to work! I get out in the fresh air, I care for them, and then directly after that, I care for myself, taking my medicine, making breakfast. Then, I care for my children. I even get up early so that there is time for me/this. Because I get up early, I put myself to bed earlier, and make sure I get sleep. As an insomniac and a night owl, this helps keeps certain negative mental health tendencies at bay most of the time, despite me sometimes wanting to stay up all night anyway. In the mornings where my kids aren't getting up for school, I sometimes even throw in a walk, to my dog's delight, which was unthinkable even 3 or 4 years ago! I have a chronic digestive disorder, and this routine with nature and animals who seem to give more back than I put in has changed and enhanced my life and lightened my burden on many levels.

When my children are overwhelmed with something, they will go out into the yard and "be with the chickens". Watching them go around the yard, talking to the birds, caring for them, worrying about them, is incredible. They often watch the sunset with chickens in their arms, and I've been brought a chicken (to my desk, to the couch...) if my kids notice I'm sad or upset about something. My partner is severely depressed, which is a challenge for him and for all of us. He finds great solace in being with the birds, and it is truly something to collaborate on and bond over, to help bring us together when we might prefer to stay apart! People who come by to visit, love to sit in the calm and whimsy of chickens and ducks, often shocked about holding a chicken or observing them. Helping others also helps me. I am so grateful and blessed to have this in my life! And I hope I can support anyone who needs to talk about the joys (as that is also mental health!) of life, the difficulties, the challenges, as well as the lack of optimism and joy that sometimes visits us all, for shorter or longer terms. I hope no one will feel embarrassed or judged! :frow

Back
Top Bottom