Mental Health?

Some people just don't understand. People at my work look at me as if i am nuts when they find out that we have 2 roosters! "don't they fight?" "aren't they loud?" They never fight; they were best friends back at my friend's farm and still are here. And they usually only crow in the AM if they have run out of feed.

People don't understand, but WE do! You are lucky to have roosters that don't crow too much. I swear, my ex-rooster used to crow every two hours! He was like the town cryer.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Seminolewind, I have a totally new appreciation for neonatal nurses now. They fell in love with Molli, and cried with me and my daughter and took the very best care of her.

CHICKENS ARE THERAPY! I'm telling you, there are a few people in my world right now that better be glad I have my chicken therapy. Ha ha ha. I go to the coop, get my daily dose, and it I love it! People question my mention health about having them, sure, but they'd really question it right now if I didn't!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I read your post and must say, I am concerned for your mental health and well being. My professional opinion would be, get some chickens, or perhaps try your hand at hatching some eggs. Yup, that would be a good hobby for you.

DH looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested getting 3 chicks for the kids at Easter.
MIL, the same, Mom, not as bad, she even called around to help me find some.
Not many people understand my fascination with chickens.
I forgot to say we now have 44!!
I could sit with them all day.
When I got my order of 30 and finally put them in a pen on the ground, me and the kids would go in and sit down with them for hours.
It was nothing for us to be out there at midnight!
DH rolls his eyes if I mention getting more, but when it comes down to it, he likes them as much as I do and is careful to check the pens occasionally to make sure all is well and none need repairs.

When it comes down to it, all of us here have been called "CHICKEN CRAZY", but I think crazy is like the term beauty,

It's all in the eye of the beholder!!

I don't care what people say about me and my chickens,
I just come here for support and be in the company of people who truly understand me and my chickens.

A lady came to the house today and gave me $30 for one 3.5 week old BO. I wasn't planning on letting her go until she was 7 weeks old, but this lady was so sad that she lost her beloved BO in a dog attack.

She anwered an ad I put on Craigslist and asked for a BO. I told her I'd try to get her one. She said she'd pay as much as $50 for one.
ep.gif
I of course would not charge that for a chicken, not even $30. I had a hard time getting her with the schedule I had. I called the hatchery twice and was finally able to get only one.

She's check on her BO's progress a few times, so I e-mailed and said she could come get her, but she would require some extra care for a few more weeks. She set up a little box for her on her desk. I wasn't afraid to let her go, because I knew she would go to a loving home.

The lady comes the very next day (today) and hands me $30. I say NO WAY!! She insisted that I take it. I guess some peoples mental health is worth a great deal to them, and she knows the worth of a good chicken.

Jenichick, I'm glad to hear that the nurses were good to you and Molli and comassionate. Yes I do believe that chickens are therapy. WHY??????

My chickens don't care if I
have morning breath
have a bad hair day
have no makeup on
I'm in my pajamas
haven't brushed my teeth
don't have deoderant on
take a nap while they're chatting
swear or pass gas (I never pass gas)

Their lives are so simple, their acceptance is simple. Karen

Nichole, thankyou for your professional advice, I will let my daughter know.

Lone Cowboy, now we all know how to get a free chicken from you. I absolutely love your last sentence. So true.

Bantychickmom, I have to laugh at the thought of your family sitting with the chickens at midnight. Sounds like a fun idea. People think oh, a dog is a cute pet, a cat is a cute pet, I was never one to follow the crowd.

ORchick, you go girl! Once I decided to build it myself, I went for 8 days straight , morning to sundown in 90 degree heat and high humidity. It was alot of fun. Almost as fun as the day my chicks moved in there. Go for it! Aren't you tempted to just get a few chicks right now?

Quote:
Amen, and AMEN

Over the course of the last 4 years, my wife and I have had a total loss house fire, we've burried either 17 or 18 (I've lost count) very close family members (including a granddaughter and a brother-in-law who committed suicide). My father has had his second bypass surgery. My wife and I had to sell virtually everything we own (except our house) in order to survive the 3 years that it took us to get approved for our disability. The disability process was so hard on us and our marriage that we separated for 9 months (we are back together now and we are inseparable, ALLELUIA!!!!) And, my ex-wife gets 1/2 of my $800 per month disability check to pay for current child support and for child support arrearages that accrued during the 3 years that I was trying to get my disability started and was physically unable to work! Finally, I am only 47 years old, but am in bad enough health that I will be lucky to see 50!

Now, I did not tell you any of that to try to start a pitty party!! I told you all of that to let you know that do occasionally find something to be quite depressed over! My wife does too! And, when we're depressed, we get in our golf cart (neither of us can walk very far at all) and go visit our chickens. We start talking to them and they talk back to us. I crow at the roosters and they crow right back at me. We listen to them and watch their antics as we "forget" about our troubles. In no time, we are pointing out things about the chickens, laughing at them, adding "subtitles" to things that they do, and feeling TONS better!!! All without putting chemicals (which don't seem to work anymore anyhow) into our bodies and with just the cost of feed each month.

Crazy to want chickens????? I'd say you'd either have to dislike them a bunch (I can't imagine such, but there are peopole who don't like ice cream either), or you'd have to be crazy to not want a few!!

You get your chickens, obsess over them, love them, and allow them to love you back. And, see if "chicken theropy" isn't better for you than drugs, and a h*ll of a lot cheaper than a trip to the shrink!!!!!!!!!!!!

JMO,
Robert

Back
Top Bottom