Mental Preparation For Processing

I've found that if I hang the bird by its feet they become totally docile. I then cut their throat with a VERY sharp knife. (don't even want to be "sawing" trying to cut with a dull knife!) The only flapping/flopping happens about 3 minutes after they bleed out and lasts about 2 seconds.

I too have shot a LOT of wild game and have never been the least bit sqeamish about dressing/butchering it. But had to "phsych" myself for killing roos. I think its our very nature to respect life. We have to "teach" ourselves to overcome that to eat.

Hmmmmmmm......maybe I'll shoot the Goose from across the yard....
roll.png

Well I learn something new every day, I had no idea when I saw those chicken feet at the asian markets that they had been peeled. I wondered how they got them so clean and how they were raised so that their feet looked so good. I figured my chickens feet would never head for the pot after free ranging....

So on the topic of guts, if you have a dog the newest reaserch says that chicken guts are the best for dogs. Has all the natural bacteria they need and the only risk is if your chicken had worms they could transmit so you should freeze them for a day before giving them to the dog. Well that sure saves me a whole step, burying the guts or driving them way out into the bush. The dump here will not allow guts and give a hefty fine if they catch you at it so mostly I have been doing the drive into the hills. I got a new freezer this year so the old one I have moved into the barn and it will now be the dog's freezer, all goodies will be kept, just one serving size baggies.

As for the organ meats they are alot of work it seems to me. But worth it if you enjoy them for sure. I'm always shocked at how much grit they have in the gizzard! Wow some of the big turkeys had 2 tablespoons in there!

Quote:
We don't have a smell problem at all. The scalding smells a little but not bad.
There is the odor that lingers on your fingers but some dishsoap seems to take care
of it. Maybe it's because we have only processed young birds.

Quote:
It is sorta funny in a sick way. I thought about adding a warning to the topic
but like MP said "It's all chicken".

Quote:
Ya we had no idea the skin comes off the feet. It was easy to do. We just followed
Silkiechickens instructions and peeled of the scales. If you start at the top it does
come off like a sock. We just cut off the nails. Next time I'll let them simmer a bit
and pull off the nails with a pair of pliers.

Next time we process we'll save the internals for the pups. I'll tell them you mentioned
it so if you get a thank you pm from Jake & Sandy you'll know why.
wink.png

Thanks again to everyone for making this a great & educational thread!!!

Sorry, just something I threw together. No Hi Res. Glad you liked it. I tried to add just a little change to it but I may have messed it up. Some one more poetic would have to do it.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom