Merck Safeguard Goat Dewormer

@dawg53 told me a good way to administer liquid safeguard into their beaks. He said cradle the bird under your arm, so the feathers are secure, then (have your syringe ready with the dose) use the one hand to gently pull down the wattles which will open the beak, squirt in the dose and quickly let the beak close. They'll swallow and, since you did it quickly, it won't go down the wrong pipe. He said practice first w/o the medicine so you see how the beak opening works for you and get the rhythm down.
Casportpony's link to Safely administer oral meds (with photos) is an excellent option as well.
I learned the hard way about mixing the liquid goat wormer in water, it simply doesnt work.
It's always best to give wormers and antibiotics orally to birds. Wormers and medications mixed in water are a guessing game. You dont know if they drank enough of the treated water to be effective and sick birds drink very little or dont drink it at all. Birds drink less in cold weather as well.

So it's actually bothering me a bit, would you mind saying where you got the advice to give way too much Safeguard? I'm worried someone else will see it and try it and kill their birds with an overdose if it's not corrected there.
It was in a private conversation, not even on a chicken forum and not in a publicly visible thread. Just a group of people I got to know through flight simulators. Thank you for telling me what a horrible idea that would have been.

At the risk of sounding silly, how do you know what your chicken weighs if you can’t weigh them? I don’t have anything other than a regular human scale, and I’m quite sure they won’t stand on it. Plus catching them all would be tough. Is there some leeway in the .23ml/ lb for guestimation of weight?

At the risk of sounding silly, how do you know what your chicken weighs if you can’t weigh them? I don’t have anything other than a regular human scale, and I’m quite sure they won’t stand on it. Plus catching them all would be tough. Is there some leeway in the .23ml/ lb for guestimation of weight?
Good question! A guess is okay. Just google the breed of bird and go by what the wiki page says for that breed and adjust it a little if your bird is thin or obese.

That is an outrageously high overdose of 10% liquid goat wormer!!

FOR NO EGG WITHDRAWAL:
Read this. This is for Safeguard Aquasol which is not the same as the goat dewormer as it has an emulsifier in it to keep the fenbendazole homogeneously mixed. The goat dewormer will settle out as it is a suspension and thus inappropriate for dosing via waterer. It should be given to each bird orally.

The study above states that 1.5 mg/Kg for 5 consecutive days is effective for removal of A. galli and H. gallinarum in laying chickens and egg residues remain below the 2.4 ppm limit. The label actually states to use at 1 mg/Kg. I use the 1.5 just to make sure I get an effective dose.

The liquid goat dewormer is 100 mg/ml. So dosing 50 ml of this straight out of the bottle is 5000 mg. WAAAY too much.

I dilute the liquid goat dewormer 1:10 (after shaking the bottle very well to ensure a homogeneous suspension) to bring the concentration down to 10 mg/ml. I will then dose my chickens orally with the diluted suspension which also must be well mixed prior to drawing it up in a 1 cc syringe. To dose this solution give 0.068 mls/pound. I just draw it up in the 1cc syringe and squirt it onto a pea sized piece of bread and feed it to the bird at roost time. It's very easy.

You can also do the higher dose of 20 mg/Kg but that requires an egg withdrawal period.
Hey, @DobieLover - do you still like this method of treatment for roundworms? And if using the liquid goat dewormer (pictured in OP's first post), do you still dose 5 consecutive days as the study describes with the Aquasol? And then do you repeat in 10-14 days?

Hey, @DobieLover - do you still like this method of treatment for roundworms? And if using the liquid goat dewormer (pictured in OP's first post), do you still dose 5 consecutive days as the study describes with the Aquasol? And then do you repeat in 10-14 days?
Just asking this one more time in case @DobieLover will weigh in. I'm trying to dial in how to do our next worming of 11 birds (for roundworm). I have the liquid goat safeguard 10%.

Was planning to dose by weight on cubes of bread--still questioning dosage and frequency. Do you still like this method?

I dilute the liquid goat dewormer 1:10 (after shaking the bottle very well to ensure a homogeneous suspension) to bring the concentration down to 10 mg/ml. I will then dose my chickens orally with the diluted suspension which also must be well mixed prior to drawing it up in a 1 cc syringe. To dose this solution give 0.068 mls/pound. I just draw it up in the 1cc syringe and squirt it onto a pea sized piece of bread and feed it to the bird at roost time. It's very easy.​

I have used this method twice and I did repeat in 10 days. I've not used Aquasol, just the liquid goat wormer.
This method is only good for roundworms and only practical for smaller flocks.

I have used this method twice and I did repeat in 10 days. I've not used Aquasol, just the liquid goat wormer.
This method is only good for roundworms and only practical for smaller flocks.
Thanks very much. Did you do 5 days in a row at that 10 mg/ml concentration at 0.068 mls/pound, then 10-day break, then dose 5 more days?

Or was it dose 1 time, 10-day break, dose 1 time?

Back
Top Bottom