Merged younger flock with older flock

TerryBowleg

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
And they are now in a new coop and run for both of them. My younger flock is around 18-20 weeks and some have started laying eggs. I usually free range but I have kept all of them in their coop/run for the past week so they get acclimated to it and know where their food/water, roost, laying boxes are, and where to return at night. The flocks have merged well and are getting along great. My question is, how much longer before I should let them free range again? Another week? Do you think the ones who haven’t started laying yet and haven’t acclimated themselves to the laying boxes will lay out in the free range if I let them out before they’ve started laying?

Last edited:
You got the two flocks to merge in a weeks time?? How did you do it?? I raised 10 black sex links from day olds and at 3 months old brought in an Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock from another flock that are one month older. The gang of 10 terrorized them initially. I separated them for a few days and reintroduced them. The gang posted sentries at all the water and food resources- and kept the trio stuck in the coop. After I allowed the gang to free range- they again posted sentries to keep the trio in the run and would enforce it. My poor RI Red ran screaming in a zig zag pattern as the gang corralled her back to the run gate.
I realize it’s been a few months since your post- how has everything progressed? Is the flock fully integrated and laying? Are they all hens?

You got the two flocks to merge in a weeks time?? How did you do it?? I raised 10 black sex links from day olds and at 3 months old brought in an Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock from another flock that are one month older. The gang of 10 terrorized them initially. I separated them for a few days and reintroduced them. The gang posted sentries at all the water and food resources- and kept the trio stuck in the coop. After I allowed the gang to free range- they again posted sentries to keep the trio in the run and would enforce it. My poor RI Red ran screaming in a zig zag pattern as the gang corralled her back to the run gate.
I realize it’s been a few months since your post- how has everything progressed? Is the flock fully integrated and laying? Are they all hens?
I just made this post today. The 2 flocks have free ranged in the same area for a couple of months…they just always went back to separate coops at night. They were very familiar with one another but still considered each other different flocks. They are all laying hens and yes they have been laying.

Ahhhh, I got the post date mixed up with your membership date, and then saw the bump.

I have a lot to learn about these chickens. I didn’t even think that they could differentiate themselves so completely to return to separate coops at night. Yes, we have very different flock issues. There’s a lot more to these little dinosaurs than meets the eye. I have issues with them posting sentries, male and females to guard over food and water resources from the “trio” of outsiders, while the top two males patrol, ensuring this campaign of terror is maintained. ….and they said chickens were dumb.

Now in the beginning, in the neutral free range area. Was there a line of separation? Did either flock attempt to cover more space (resources) initially? If I let my flock out- they will not allow the trio to free range. The flock of 8 will chase any of the three outsiders back to the run.

Ahhhh, I got the post date mixed up with your membership date, and then saw the bump.

I have a lot to learn about these chickens. I didn’t even think that they could differentiate themselves so completely to return to separate coops at night. Yes, we have very different flock issues. There’s a lot more to these little dinosaurs than meets the eye. I have issues with them posting sentries, male and females to guard over food and water resources from the “trio” of outsiders, while the top two males patrol, ensuring this campaign of terror is maintained. ….and they said chickens were dumb.

Now in the beginning, in the neutral free range area. Was there a line of separation? Did either flock attempt to cover more space (resources) initially? If I let my flock out- they will not allow the trio to free range. The flock of 8 will chase any of the three outsiders back to the run.
My older flock always let the younger flock be during free range unless there was food the older flock wanted, in that case they’d run off the younger flock

Do you think the ones who haven’t started laying yet and haven’t acclimated themselves to the laying boxes will lay out in the free range if I let them out before they’ve started laying?
They might.
Have the older ones laid in the new nests yet?
They all might try to get back to their old coops to lay or roost.

As to the original poster - once most have laid where you want, they are fine to go out and about. As long as your new coop is the best option, they will go there tonight. Sometimes it is a big help to lock up the old coop.

As to Terry Bowleg, I would lock the gang OUTside the coop/run. Let the trio just be in the coop/run exploring and eating without being harassed. Getting some territorial rights. Close to dark let the old girls in.

Repeat for 3-4 days. Then just add two old girls to the trio in the pen, with the rest locked outside. There will be a dust up or two, but two cannot harass as effectively as a gang, and it is rather exhausting to keep it up. Pick a middle of the flock for the two girls to keep in. Repeat 2-3 days.

Now add a third one - wait and see. You want the six to get pretty comfortable with each other. When it is relaxed, for a couple of days, then let everyone out into the free range. If it goes well, then fine. If there is one or two old biddys that are leading the charge, lock them in the coop/run, let the rest free range.

If this never settles - sell the old biddies.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom