Merging a new flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MissBay, Sep 25, 2012.

1. MissBay

MissBay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Please Help.
    I merged 6 new chicks to an existing flock of 7 (1 1/2 year olds) a few months back.
    I believe I did everything right regarding the merge.
    However, since I've merged them the older chickens have almost stopped laying.
    I was told this would maybe happen and then get better but it hasn't.

The new chicks should start laying anytime now. But I don't believe they have yet.
    They still seem to stay in there 2 separate groups. The new chicks are as big as the older ones.

I have a super nice set-up for them. So I don't believe it's related to that.

Any advice or suggestions????

EggLess Owner

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    One and a half year old hens may be in/entering a molt. That coupled with the shortening day length may very well be what is causing them to take a break from egg laying.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    x2

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    that is why you want to get new chicks each year, cause they will lay through the winter, albeit, smaller eggs

5. omilona

omilona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Of the 9 chicks 18 months ago, the 2 Cuckoo Marans: one died in March, and one layed about 4 eggs at 6 months and then absolutely nothing after, the 2 SL Wyandottes,were the first to lay and still barrelling on at 18 months (they turned out to be banties, even though I bought full sized so maybe that has something to it), of the 5 Ameraucanas, one which was the last to lay was the first to moult, one turned out to be a rooster (which turned to the dark side a few weeks ago and got sent home for dinner with the gardener) and the remaining 2 are still laying well. I get between 0-4 eggs a day right now. I ordered from Murray MacMurray 8 started 20ish week pullets, 4 Black Australorp and 4 more Ameraucanas. They are coming in 3 weeks, woo-hoo!

6. MissBay

MissBay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Thxs for the insite.
    Any other thoughts are appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by