Merging a new flock

MissBay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Please Help.
I merged 6 new chicks to an existing flock of 7 (1 1/2 year olds) a few months back.
I believe I did everything right regarding the merge.
However, since I've merged them the older chickens have almost stopped laying.
I was told this would maybe happen and then get better but it hasn't.

The new chicks should start laying anytime now. But I don't believe they have yet.
They still seem to stay in there 2 separate groups. The new chicks are as big as the older ones.

I have a super nice set-up for them. So I don't believe it's related to that.

Any advice or suggestions????

EggLess Owner

One and a half year old hens may be in/entering a molt. That coupled with the shortening day length may very well be what is causing them to take a break from egg laying.

Of the 9 chicks 18 months ago, the 2 Cuckoo Marans: one died in March, and one layed about 4 eggs at 6 months and then absolutely nothing after, the 2 SL Wyandottes,were the first to lay and still barrelling on at 18 months (they turned out to be banties, even though I bought full sized so maybe that has something to it), of the 5 Ameraucanas, one which was the last to lay was the first to moult, one turned out to be a rooster (which turned to the dark side a few weeks ago and got sent home for dinner with the gardener) and the remaining 2 are still laying well. I get between 0-4 eggs a day right now. I ordered from Murray MacMurray 8 started 20ish week pullets, 4 Black Australorp and 4 more Ameraucanas. They are coming in 3 weeks, woo-hoo!

Back
Top Bottom