Merging New and Existing Chickens

ChickChick2121

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Hello Everyone,
I need advice on merging my chickens.
Here's my situation.

New coop built 2 weeks ago. Moved 7 new chickens out to new coop. (11 weeks, 1-JG ROOSTER & 6 Pullets including Jersey Giants, Australorp & Orpingtons)

2 days ago divided coop in half, moved in 5 hens (7 month old laying hens), tore out old coop, extended and attached run.

My question is when should I take down the divider? The young ones do not have access to the run. I feel bad keeping them in that area and not being able to go out. The hens are adjusting great to the new space.

I was thinking of cutting a pop door to the run and sectioning off a small portion for the babies to get out but my husband doesn't want to cut another hole and is sick of working on the coop. (We have a crazy life and not much time and he's been spending a lot of time out there building for me). So the sooner we can integrate and get the deep litter set up and everyone together the better. Any advice would be appreciated. You all have been amazing.
PXL_20211012_175956298.jpg
PXL_20211012_180032607.jpg
PXL_20211012_180037443.jpg
PXL_20211012_180133921.jpg
PXL_20211012_180142195.jpg

I'd say go ahead and let them all mingle. Expect some chasing and pecking, but the smaller ones will quickly learn to give the older ones a wide berth. Provide numerous feeding and watering stations and assorted perches so younger ones can rise above the fray.

Try to keep a hands off approach unless you see a gang attack of a single pullet. Usually, all conflicts will be between two individuals and will quickly resolve. This may continue for a few days until everyone learns their rank in the social order.

I'd say go ahead and let them all mingle. Expect some chasing and pecking, but the smaller ones will quickly learn to give the older ones a wide berth. Provide numerous feeding and watering stations and assorted perches so younger ones can rise above the fray.

Try to keep a hands off approach unless you see a gang attack of a single pullet. Usually, all conflicts will be between two individuals and will quickly resolve. This may continue for a few days until everyone learns their rank in the social order.
So completely take out the divider and let them be. Watch closely for a while. Probably do this weekend. But I can't keep an eye on them at night.

After you referee roosting, when squabbles always boil over, they will be asleep and not interested in creating chaos.

Since you are just finishing your coop, here's a suggestion to make roosting much more peaceful. Install dividers along the roosting perches. It's worked in my flock very well to reduce roosting squabbling.
74634EBA-04EB-4347-BCD1-0347AC4BF2B8.jpeg

After you referee roosting, when squabbles always boil over, they will be asleep and not interested in creating chaos.

Since you are just finishing your coop, here's a suggestion to make roosting much more peaceful. Install dividers along the roosting perches. It's worked in my flock very well to reduce roosting squabbling.View attachment 2863888
Thank you

I think I would just lift the bottom of that chicken wire, fold it up. This will let the littles come out and go back on their terms, and will discourage the bigs from chasing them beyond that. I generally do this for a couple of days.

But really I think that you probably could just take it down, and there may be some dust ups, but not bad.

I think I would just lift the bottom of that chicken wire, fold it up. This will let the littles come out and go back on their terms, and will discourage the bigs from chasing them beyond that. I generally do this for a couple of days.

But really I think that you probably could just take it down, and there may be some dust ups, but not bad.
Thank you. The littles are almost as big as the hens now. I'm not sure if I could make a space the hens couldn't get to. Lol.

On advice from experienced members this spring I had two sucessfull integrations with 1-2 weeks of see-don't-touch before I let them mix.

I did a lot of feeding at the barrier to get them used to sharing food.
That's a great idea. I'm going to integrate this weekend when I have enough time to watch them. They'll have had about a week of see no touch so hopefully that will be good. Their coops we're right next to each other for a few weeks before we moved everyone into the big coop so they probably knew it was coming. I can see the hens chatting about it now. "They got more I know it! Who let that woman back into Tractor Supply!" Lol

Since you are just finishing your coop, here's a suggestion to make roosting much more peaceful. Install dividers along the roosting perches. It's worked in my flock very well to reduce roosting squabbling.View attachment 2863888
Wow your board is polished and clean. Great idea with sivider

Back
Top Bottom