Merging new girls with old

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JoCoKS, Jul 23, 2019.

1. JoCoKS

JoCoKS In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    I have been very stressed out about what would happen when my 5 new 11 week old Salmon Faverolles would merge with my 3 year old Rhode Island Reds from what I have read on the Internet. Salmon Faverolles so I have been really stressed out so

I have had a 2 chicken wire fence separating them with burlap over the fence because my Salmon Faverolles were afraid of my Reds. The other day I pulled the fabric off so they could see each other thru the fence and today I found 4 of my Salmon Faverolles in the same area as the Reds so I pulled down the fence and stressed about their meeting. It turned out to be a big nothing as they all did their thing and I did give both parties their diner of sunflower seeds, bread and remains of corn on the cob in their separate dishes. All of my girls ate from their own food and could not care less about the others in their garden. During the day they had no interest in each others coops and at dust both went to their own coop to sleep. My next big stress is going to be when I start letting all of them free range like the Reds have for years. I do not plan to clip the wings on the Salmon Faverolles because they need to fly to get to their roosts and I am afraid they may fly over the fence. My Reds when they first got to the garden area I have for them kept getting over the fence even though I had clipped their wings. They would stay on the other side of the fence and raise hell till I let them back home. I finally learned from watching them they would walk up a tree limb laying against the fence and just drop down so I removed that limb ASAP.

Being a city boy I had no idea what to do but everything worked out fine thankfully. When I had my first chicken, Henrietta Cluck back in the late 1950’s my father would give me advice since my family had chickens during WWII but father died in 1983 at the age of 90. I was born when he was 56 years old and I was very lucky this wonderful man in my live who was not only my beloved father but my best friend who taught me everything I needed to know to be a professional architect. My beloved mother was my best lady friend.

My research also said it was best to have two chickens but Henrietta Cluck did just fine by herself since she made my German Shepard her second best friend.

I have no idea what I am doing but I have never had a sick chicken and my Reds are still laying eggs like they always did even though the Internet said their egg product should drop 30%. I think when the Salmon Faverolles start laying eggs we will be giving eggs away to family, neighbors and friends since we already have more eggs then we need.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your flock!

4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

6. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us!

7. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    1651148-0d831e6d52f44f8dc45ae552dbe35f48.gif
    I'm so glad everything went well. Good luck with free ranging everyone together!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - glad that the flock integration went well.

9. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here!

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: