Merging Rooster Batchelor Pads

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Runawaylobster, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Runawaylobster

Runawaylobster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    I successfully keep groups of roosters together, especially if they were raised together, but i am just getting logistically fried by keeping them in separate groups.

when i put hens together i do it in groups so that there is a complete re-shuffle and it works well,

I have also re-integrated two roos into a batchelor pad in a dog crate for a couple of weeks and then letting them mix in.

I have been considering starting with a totally new unfamiliar coop, away from hens, and merging roos together at night just like i do with the hens. I currently have about 13 roos, some with hens and some in groups together. All are different ages but none older than 1 year.
    and none younger than 4 months. the plan being that they would all be unfamiliar with each other (ie; no ganging up on the newbie) and that they would just sort out the pecking order. The coop is 8 x 16 ft.

??????

just looking for some words of wisdom.

PS: these are not for eating they are breeding roosters.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm all for keeping as few pens going as possible!

I think your plan sounds very workable. I think you're verging on tight for space, but try it and see how things go. I'd do the night thing, and also put unfamiliar objects in the coop/run like logs, pallets, your old Christmas tree, things like that to distract them from each other.

Let us know how it goes!

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Does the coop have a run? I can see some serious fighting and chasing going on if there is that much testosterone in that small of a space.

I think Rachel has a great idea with putting objects in the coop to distract them from each other. Maybe you could make/buy a flock block that should give them a couple days of distraction.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would like to see a pic of that..Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by