Merging two established flocks, same age, same demographic

fowl weathered friend

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I have a small mixed-breed flock of 6 hens, and I am moving soon and want to give them to a friend who has 6 hens about the same age.

Most of the advice I find about integrating new chickens is about merging younger chickens, a single chicken, or how to merge chickebs from unknown environments (like those gotten from a swap or are from a different geographic region).

Our hens are about the same age, we have some of the same breeds, we live in the same part of Tucson - I even helped her pick out her chickens when they were just babies.

What's the best way to integrate these two flocks, when all of these factors are present?

I appreciate your help!

Just put them together. There will be some bickering because they will need to set up a new pecking order but if they are similar in age & size it shouldn't be too bad.
The other option if you have a large enough coop is to pen them on opposite sides (or in a large cage) so they can see each other and become a little more familiar. Then after a week or two let them begin mixing. You will still have some squabbling either way.

Back
Top Bottom