mesh wiring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gjoyner, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. gjoyner

    gjoyner Songster

    not sure what that stuff is called but its like mesh wiring or something. people use on the runs of the coops or window so that nothing can get their hands through and grab a chicken. what is called? where can I get it?
    I caught a squarrel in my closed up run and watched it shimmy its way through the fencing....
    dont want anything getting in or out!
    help folks!

  2. txchickie

    txchickie Songster

    Nov 15, 2008
    Hardware cloth!

    You should be able to find it at the feed store, possibly hardware store, etc...anywhere that sells fencing supplies!
  3. gjoyner

    gjoyner Songster

    thats it! thanks!
  4. gsim

    gsim Songster

    Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Hardware cloth is great, but pricey. If you have 2x4 welded wire already, chicken wire inside might be ok . It will keep the birds from sticking their heads outside of the pen. I did chicken wire, but my pen is 185 ft around , 50' across anywhere, so coons cannot stampede my flock to other side for a partner to grab. Yes, they do that! And it has been seen done in broad daylight by a man who lost 3 before he could get out to the coop. Two coons tag-teamed the hens which were in a narrow 8' wide run. [​IMG]
  5. cobrien

    cobrien Songster

    Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    It should be 1/2" to keep coon hands out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by