1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mesh wiring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gjoyner, Oct 22, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

not sure what that stuff is called but its like mesh wiring or something. people use on the runs of the coops or window so that nothing can get their hands through and grab a chicken. what is called? where can I get it?
    I caught a squarrel in my closed up run and watched it shimmy its way through the fencing....
    dont want anything getting in or out!
    help folks!

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Hardware cloth!

You should be able to find it at the feed store, possibly hardware store, etc...anywhere that sells fencing supplies!

3. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

thats it! thanks!

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Hardware cloth is great, but pricey. If you have 2x4 welded wire already, chicken wire inside might be ok . It will keep the birds from sticking their heads outside of the pen. I did chicken wire, but my pen is 185 ft around , 50' across anywhere, so coons cannot stampede my flock to other side for a partner to grab. Yes, they do that! And it has been seen done in broad daylight by a man who lost 3 before he could get out to the coop. Two coons tag-teamed the hens which were in a narrow 8' wide run. [​IMG]

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    It should be 1/2" to keep coon hands out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by