1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Mesquite Trees and Seed Pods

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MrsFitzDarcy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. MrsFitzDarcy

MrsFitzDarcy Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    My new flock lives under a beautiful mesquite tree. When they free range, they love, love, love the leaves, live or dead. They don't seem to show any interest in the mesquite seed pods, curiously. I know mesquite can be turned into flour. Horses love them, but if you have a horse prone to colic or with Cushings (or other metabolic disorder) limit the amount as they are high in starch and sugar. Anyhow, I was wondering if mesquite seeds/pods are safe for chickens, and if so, is there a way to make them more appealing? It would help with the feed bill and clean up the yard.

2. wsbryanaz

wsbryanaz Hatching

May 23, 2014
    Skull Valley, AZ
    I ground up the mesquite beans in my vitamix and mixed it into their feed. They seem to like it.

3. gmawhimsy

gmawhimsy In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2015
    My understanding is that there is currently research into using mesquite seed to replace the corn and soy in many livestock feeds. It is high in lysine and very good for most animals. Check this website
    http://www.feedipedia.org/node/554. I found it when I was trying to see about mesquite and goats and hogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by