Messed this hatch all up

careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA
So this was my first time hatching this early in the year and the fluctuating temps were not good for my home-made incubator. I used it all last year with success but I keep it in my basement for the most steady temps but it often dropped to 97 degrees overnight. There is a fan. Anyway I've already lost 3 eggs, I have 8 that I see moving on day 18 but they are definitely delayed in growth. I had humidity at 55% but air cells are on the small side too so I removed the water. My question is at what day should I lock them down since I'm now expecting a much later hatch if they hatch at all? I should add these are chicken eggs from my flock and I've had great success last year with this cross. Thank you!

At this point, I'd keep the humidity as low as possible and lock down by the beginning of day 20 at which time you can raise the humidity. I think 55% through incubation is too high for most eggs.

At this point, I'd keep the humidity as low as possible and lock down by the beginning of day 20 at which time you can raise the humidity. I think 55% through incubation is too high for most eggs.

Thank you, I'll do that and hope for the best. Yeah I'm thinking of just doing a dry hatch next time. I didn't prepare well enough for this hatch and it really bit me in the end.

Today is day 20, all 8 eggs grew and are still alive and moving. Air cells are still smaller than I wanted. I locked down raised the humidity back up and just hoping for the best. Will update if any hatch over th weekend.

Today is day 20, all 8 eggs grew and are still alive and moving. Air cells are still smaller than I wanted. I locked down raised the humidity back up and just hoping for the best. Will update if any hatch over th weekend.
If air cells are small don't raise the humidity too high. 60% is the highest I'd go. Possibly they will all drown before pip? Hopefully they hatch..

If air cells are small don't raise the humidity too high. 60% is the highest I'd go. Possibly they will all drown before pip? Hopefully they hatch..

I'm going to keep it around 50% because I was worried about that. Curious those that do safety holes do you have to wait until they internally pip or can I do it now? Humidity was in the 20s the last 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom