Messed up chicken - HELP!

LedgeWoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Midwest
I'm trying this here in hopes of getting some advice...tried the emergencies thread and am getting nowhere.
sad.png

ONe of my 6 month old RIR girls has been falling over, off balance, and literally acting drunk since yesterday afternoon. She's eating, drinking, roosting, pooing normal, but is not able to stand upright for more than a few seconds. She cocks her head to the left side...the same way she keeps tipping over. She even laid an egg today! (on the coop floor under the ramp where she's been taking refuge)...so I can rule out being egg-bound. She has no sign of injury & none of the other birds show signs of being ill.

None of my birds have been vaccinated for Mareks. They get Purina Layena crumbles with free-choice oyster shells. Water has ACV added and is changed/cleaned regularly.

My thoughts are vitamin deficiency? stroke? Hit her head? Inner Ear infection? This seemed to have come on suddenly yesterday afternoon when she was out free-ranging. She looks "dizzy" too.

I'm open to any and all suggestions & hoping she snaps out of it soon!
fl.gif

Do a search on botulisim (sp) I haven't had anything like that here, but I'm sure I've read about something similar and I think it may be botulisim. I'll check back later and try to find if for you if you aren't able too--Dinner and helping the kids with homework right now..
hmm.png

Sounds like an ear infection. I had a Polish that couldn't lift her head and was falling over. I found out that the crested breeds have an opening at the top of their skulls. Apparently she got pecked and basically had brain damage. She was treated with prednisone, and has recovered. I would take her to a vet that knows chickens.

Thanks kittymomma.
smile.png
I searched botulism in poultry and the symptoms sure are a close match. I keep my coop clean - with a sand floor that's sifted every day, stall dry, and wood shavings in nestboxes. The girls have been spending a lot of time in the woods - Lord knows what they are finding in there. They have also been in the neighboring field where the corn was harvested and smelly liquid cow manure has been applied. Hmmmm.... I know there are some "Nightshade" plants around too - could eating those berries have an effect like this as well?

From what I read, if she makes it through tomorrow afternoon she stands a pretty good chance of recovery.
fl.gif
It was hard enough concentrating at work today...tomorrow is going to be worse!
sad.png

I was going to say some sort of poisoning? Im not sure as I have never seen this problem-Im sorry hope you find your answer:)

I hope she gets thru it ok.
fl.gif
If you have any poly-visol on hand (infant vitimins-NO iron) you could put a few drops on the side of her beak to give her a little extra boost.

Quote:
Avian Botulism usually results in a limp, droopy, neck caused by paralysis from a toxin. Your gal sounds like she's disoriented, and off-balance, as opposed to droopy-necked.

I don't know her problem, but it doesn't sound like Botulism. I hope she gets better
smile.png
Please, keep us posted on her condition.

Morning update - Just got in from tending the coop this morning & I can tell she didn't fly up to roost last night. She was laying on her side with her head flipped upside down (chin up)...thought she bit the bullet. But when all the other girls came running to greet me, she flopped up and tried to come with the crowd. She can't even stand today. Gave her some gatorade (maybe 7 sips after I dunked her beak in the cup). She ate a bunch of BOSS and layer feed that I had in a cup in front of her. I'm afraid of what I'm going to find this afternoon when I get home. After more research last night, her symptoms match a "stroke" also, especially since this came on without warning. It's her entire left side that's out of whack and it seems she has no vision out of her left eye.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom