Messed up chicken - HELP!

Another egg today lying on the coop floor from her...even though she looks more pathetic today. I don't get it. DH had her out on the grass when I got home. She just laid there on her side most of the time, then she'd "snap out of it" and start eating grass and looking somewhat "with it." She even walked a few feet almost normally...then flopped onto her left side again with her head twisted. She ate and drank as it was offered to her. Giving her one more night per the kids requests. Tried isolating her but she threw such a fit, I put her back in with the group...most of them were on the roost already anyway. If no sign of improvement tomorrow, DH will end her suffering.
sad.png

Last edited:
try the vitamins for a few days--maybe wry neck? I'm really not sure, but I think the vits wouldn't hurt anything and if she doesn't seem to be in any pain giving it a few more days would be ok too.

I sure hope she improves overnight because you are making such a difficult decision. I agree with the post if she doesn't seem to be in any pain to give her a few more days. Never an easy answer on this.
sad.png

Oh my, how sad. I hope she isn't suffering. That's pretty incredible she's still able to lay eggs when she can barely walk. Wow. I really hope she pulls through. I can't wait to check back in tomorrow and see how she's doing. Gosh, that really is so sad. 6 months old sounds young for a chicken to have a stroke, but I'm so new to having chickens. Best of luck with this.

Thanks for all the support - that's what I like about this site
smile.png

She's a tough girl, I'll give her that. Found her struggling on the coop floor again this morning. She had sand pasting her eyes shut. Brought her in the house (she talked to me the whole way) and used a warm wet washcloth to clean her up & help her eyes open. I diluted a b-complex vitamin in about a 1/8 c water and added 1/4 packet of propel. Got about 2 cc's in her. (is there such a thing as too much???) Lined a storage bin with old flannel sheets and set her in there to rest. She's moving very little - I think either she's exhausted or comfy...or both.

Can someone tell me how often I can give her the vitamin water and how much?

It's ironic that out of the 5 RIR I have, she's the only one that didn't "earn" a name. She's got the nickname "Tippy" now. I have to go into town today - picking up some of the infant vitamin drops and Vit E. Now that it's the weekend, the kids can help give her TLC and attention.

Well, "Tippy" has been getting the royal treatment. She's been given dissolved b-complex, vitamin E, and Selenium. Her symptoms "come and go." We even had her standing in the kitchen, looking out the patio doors looking almost normal. She seemed to "sleep" a lot with her head upside down/chin up during the day. When I forced her to hold her head up and straight, she seemed to "come to" and ate and drank what was held in front of her. She's eating a yogurt-oatmeal-layer crumble mix now. (downed maybe a heaping tablespoon full). She pooed normally a couple times throughout the day, too. She'll continue to get the royal treatment until further notice...not giving up on her unless she really goes downhill.
fl.gif

Sounds like wry neck, or crook neck. I had a Silkie a few years ago with that, he would eat if I mushed stuff up and hand fed him, holding him under my arm with my hand keeping his neck straight, but even tho I tried with the vitamins, and even antibiotic injections for more than a week, in the end I decided to cull him. Hard decision to make, hope you have better luck.

Back
Top Bottom