Messed up eye

Flock Master64

Crowing
Jul 24, 2016
Surrounded by the Amish
437E5FD0-12F3-4820-85D1-2A38E54E3D61.jpeg
2E86FDE5-4FD5-4DE6-B8E5-1BE71D56FF1B.jpeg

I have this pullet, she’s roughly 2 months. As you can see she has one eye that’s always looking to the back. From what I can tell this doesn’t affect her at all. She gets around fine and other flock members don’t pick on her. I was wondering what it is, what caused it, if I can somehow help it and if it can harm her in anyway. Also does anyone know her breed? Thank you so much.

Hmm Idk. I had a hen that was blind in one eye but got around fine. She can still see out if that eye? What we did to test my hen to see if she was blind was cover her good eye then on the bad side waved a treat around. She was freaking out and the vet confirmed that she was blind

View attachment 1584009 View attachment 1584010
I have this pullet, she’s roughly 2 months. As you can see she has one eye that’s always looking to the back. From what I can tell this doesn’t affect her at all. She gets around fine and other flock members don’t pick on her. I was wondering what it is, what caused it, if I can somehow help it and if it can harm her in anyway. Also does anyone know her breed? Thank you so much.
I would say she will do fine with her eyes and she probably is a Rhode Island Red hen.

Yeah, I think Red Sex Link also, they are sold under many different names.
https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/chickens-101/understanding-sex-link-hybrid-chickens/
No idea on the eye. Would be good to see if she can see with it or not. It could be something congenital. Probably not much that could be done about it. If it gets worse or looks infected down the road that would be something to investigate. Has it always been that way or just showed up?

Thank you. I think it’s been that way since she hatched but I just realized it was different. She seems a bit more skittish then the other pullets as well.

Back
Top Bottom