Messed Up Gosling Question.

RAREROO

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
Hi all

I went to a friends house today and bought a young pair ( I think) of Buff Goslings and an extra that I think is a gander was given to me because he has a horrible cross beak that looks like he smashed his head against a wall, and he even has crossed wings that instead of laying flat against his body, his flight feathers stick straigt out to the sides like hes an air plane.

So I am wondering if there is anyway to make him look more like a goose instead of a crashed air plane. I'm pretty sure there is nothing to do about the beak, but I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the end flight feathers off, bone and all at the end joint with causing too much harm. Is that what pinioning ( or however you spell it ) is or is that just cutting the muscle and membrane and leaving the bone intact ? He is the same size and all as the other two so I guess the crossbeak isnt any handicap to him, but I just dont like the looks of his feathers sticking out like that.

How old is he? It sounds like he has angel wing, which can be corrected by wrapping at a younger age. I think that pinioning him at an older age could be very traumatic and difficult.. There could also be the risk of infection and such because it would take a much longer time for a mature wing to heal. Pinioning is usually done when they are very young, so it is like clipping your fingernails, not surgery.

Quote:
He is still pretty young, about a foot or so high mainly and mostly still has baby down. So how would I wrap them ? I dont think I would worry with cutting it off. I got two older toulouse ( spelling ? ) for my aunt and I may see if she wants this one too. I think I just want to keep my original pair that I planned to begin with.

It is believe that too much Protean may trigger Anglewing.

One can learn a lot on BYC. I’m learning in leaps and bounds.
smile.png

Quote:
OK Thank you, I wraped his wings with tape today in the position that they should normally be so we will see in about a week.

And yes, BYC is the BEST place to learn about all things birds, I have learned so much in the time that I have been on BYC to the point that now I can do a lot of the teaching when it comes to chicken genetics questions, but this is my first time with geese so I dont know anything about them other than that they should be like 3 ducks put together and I have plenty of ducks so I guess the geese arent much different.

I’ve only been here for about a month myself. I had chickens and ducks when I was a small boy but all one needed to know back then was how to get to the neighborhood hardware store to buy grain.

Wife, daughter and grandkids decided they wanted a couple of chickens. The trip resulted in two chickens and two ducks. They fell inlove the baby geese too. Soooooooo a week later we got the two geese. Instant farm! Now I’m here soaking knowledge so I can care for them properly. Just happened to be read about anglewing a couple of weeks ago so it's still fresh in my memory. Thank goodness none of our critters have it.

I thought I knew enough about chickens and ducks until I started reading. Boy was I wrong.

Good luck with your fathered patient.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom