Messed Up Gosling Question.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RAREROO, Jul 8, 2010.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi all

I went to a friends house today and bought a young pair ( I think) of Buff Goslings and an extra that I think is a gander was given to me because he has a horrible cross beak that looks like he smashed his head against a wall, and he even has crossed wings that instead of laying flat against his body, his flight feathers stick straigt out to the sides like hes an air plane.

So I am wondering if there is anyway to make him look more like a goose instead of a crashed air plane. I'm pretty sure there is nothing to do about the beak, but I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the end flight feathers off, bone and all at the end joint with causing too much harm. Is that what pinioning ( or however you spell it ) is or is that just cutting the muscle and membrane and leaving the bone intact ? He is the same size and all as the other two so I guess the crossbeak isnt any handicap to him, but I just dont like the looks of his feathers sticking out like that.

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Songster

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    How old is he? It sounds like he has angel wing, which can be corrected by wrapping at a younger age. I think that pinioning him at an older age could be very traumatic and difficult.. There could also be the risk of infection and such because it would take a much longer time for a mature wing to heal. Pinioning is usually done when they are very young, so it is like clipping your fingernails, not surgery.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:He is still pretty young, about a foot or so high mainly and mostly still has baby down. So how would I wrap them ? I dont think I would worry with cutting it off. I got two older toulouse ( spelling ? ) for my aunt and I may see if she wants this one too. I think I just want to keep my original pair that I planned to begin with.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks so much

Im just wondering, why dose it say cut out the protein in the last post of that thread ?

5. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chirping

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    It is believe that too much Protean may trigger Anglewing.

One can learn a lot on BYC. I’m learning in leaps and bounds. [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:OK Thank you, I wraped his wings with tape today in the position that they should normally be so we will see in about a week.

And yes, BYC is the BEST place to learn about all things birds, I have learned so much in the time that I have been on BYC to the point that now I can do a lot of the teaching when it comes to chicken genetics questions, but this is my first time with geese so I dont know anything about them other than that they should be like 3 ducks put together and I have plenty of ducks so I guess the geese arent much different.

7. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chirping

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    I’ve only been here for about a month myself. I had chickens and ducks when I was a small boy but all one needed to know back then was how to get to the neighborhood hardware store to buy grain.

Wife, daughter and grandkids decided they wanted a couple of chickens. The trip resulted in two chickens and two ducks. They fell inlove the baby geese too. Soooooooo a week later we got the two geese. Instant farm! Now I’m here soaking knowledge so I can care for them properly. Just happened to be read about anglewing a couple of weeks ago so it's still fresh in my memory. Thank goodness none of our critters have it.

I thought I knew enough about chickens and ducks until I started reading. Boy was I wrong.

Good luck with your fathered patient.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by