Messing w/ Hen Nesting

An egg busted in the nest. I think it was the one patched with tap. She consumed most of it but a couple other eggs got yolk in them. Hopefully rolling an ant action will get eggs cleaned up by time oxygen demand starts to pick up. Should have fed it back to her.

Hen not too growly when handled. When her spurs harden, she is not one I want to have rattle my arm every time I check her brood.

Edgar shifting his roost to location closer to nest site this evening. Distance about 150 feet. Other hen of his harem (Blanca) is roosting on kennel panel in barn.

Now confirmation hen had twelve at time clutch set. Still at 11. Hatch due late tomorrow into July 4. Hen came off nest early to stretch, defecate, drink, feed, and preen in that order. I let her out so she could get some select greens. Insects super abundant making so very little effort expended for crop filling. She likely did last serious preening for next 2 weeks. Odds are she is talking to embryos now as part of imprinting process. It is very likely she will not come off nest again until July 5 so 3 days of zero feed or water intake coming up. She is in good weight so should have little trouble.

I will be setting up pen for her and chicks to be kept in during night for next month or so. The coop in use does not inspire confidence for chick survival as they come off nest. Chick down coloration will be of particular interest.

Will resume this with another hen. Hen to be used just weaned a brood yesterday. She simply quit clucking and walked away from her nine chicks that hatched May 9-10 when about 34 days post-hatch. Chicks were a little distraught for about 30 minutes before they stopped cheeping for her. I was close by when break began. Chicks went to roost on floor in garage at normal time while hen was out looking for that special boyfriend. I am going to choose one for her. Hen still went to roost with chicks on ground. At dawn they all went their own ways. Today I need to be watching for battle royal among stags if dogs have not put a stop to it. This round I hope to get hen to nest where I want her to nest in one of my elevated nests. I think I figured out how to get a hen to use a site I point out, just like a rooster can do. It must be done today as she says she is looking for a nest site.

Back
Top Bottom