Messy butt, ragged frayed feathers, can't find lice/mites - ?

clapping

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
I noticed one, then two of my girls were looking a little raggedy at the edges of their tail feathers after I had switched to a layer feed, as one had just started laying (young birds). I assumed it was a protein issue because the two gals that looked a little frayed were the two that were not yet laying, so I switched back to their protein feed and provided free take oyster shell.

Then maybe last weekend I noticed that the layer, then after a few days all three had a runny poop on their back end. I looked for any parasites and did not find. I cleaned them up and monitored, they all seemed to be eating and sprightly.

Then today I noticed my one gal looking REALLY raggedy, like all her feathers are frayed! I reinspected all the gals looking for lice or mites, and I cannot find any. I went out at night with the white paper under the roost and looked at their skin and no mites.

Does this mean it's worms? Is there something else I should check? I give them ACV every other water refill and gave them DE in their feed maybe two months ago as preventative. If anyone has insight I'd love to hear. I'm happy to deworm but I don't want to stress them further with something if it wouldn't fix the issue. I'd love to hear how people deal with this!!!

thank you

Back
Top Bottom