messy chicken butt

pdw

Songster
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Carlsbad Ca
Question for a friend who asked me why her two out of 7 chickens had messy poopy butts. .She keeps washing their butts and they Getty poor again I asked her about possible vent glen .She said their vents are light pink and don't look infected. I suggested Probiotics and Yogurt and wheat germ and apple cider vinegar in the water as a precaution and to see if it will help. They don't appear lethargic or sick not tucking Rea sunder in pain and eating. She was feeding them a Purina chicken feed ( never My choice ) I she has bought a new organic food . but was mixing it with the purina food to try and get rid of the Purina food I suggested getting rid of the purina food all together since it's full of corn and soy
what say You all out there any insight and helpful suggestions ??
I have never experienced this problem with my chickens in all the years I have raised chickens

It sounds like the chicks might have pasty butt. Posting photos would be helpful. Very, very gently cleaning the poop from the vent with Q-tips and warm water will help. Coconut oil will help moisturize and lubricate the vent area to prevent pasty butt from returning. I’ve had multiple cases of pasty butt and this method worked for me!

It sounds like the chicks might have pasty butt. Posting photos would be helpful. Very, very gently cleaning the poop from the vent with Q-tips and warm water will help. Coconut oil will help moisturize and lubricate the vent area to prevent pasty butt from returning. I’ve had multiple cases of pasty butt and this method worked for me!
What about probiotics and the apple cider vinegar ...did you ever do any of those things to help get rid of it?

What about probiotics and the apple cider vinegar ...did you ever do any of those things to help get rid of it?
I did use probiotics in their water but it didn’t seem to make a difference. I didn’t use ACV with the chicks, only the single use packets of probiotics from TSC. I had to gently clean the pasty butt from 2 chicks in particular for almost 2 weeks before it cleared up on there own!

Back
Top Bottom