Messy Chicks

I raise mine, also, and keep raising it each week to the level of their back or even a smidge higher. That has worked well for us.

I find rabbit water bottles to be notoriously leaky. I use them with my rabbits because they are in hanging cages and the water drips under the cage and they aren't in it, but I won't use them for chickens because the bedding would get wet.

I am interested in trying the "chicken nipples", though. ChicknMama, where did you get yours?

Definitely raise up the food & water, it will drastically decrease the mess. I think it is a bit of a game, let's see how much stuff we can throw in the bowls. Ours outgrew the long feeder that I bought at TSC, now they have 3 heavy open top bowls to eat from, they don't seem interested in making a mess by throwing things in the bowl anymore. They are 8 weeks old and outside all day now in their run.

Quote:
I ordered mine from QC supply but I know they are also available on ebay and Neil Grassbaugh on BYC sells them also. You can search on here and find quite alot of information about them and how different people are using them. Depending on the number of birds they have people use a different number of them in different ways. For example I have seen alot of people that put 2 or 3 of them into the bottom of 3-5 gallon buckets. We will be putting ours into some PVC pipe once the girls move to the coop. Hope this helps.

I have the food raised up as well but like you said I think it is a "GAME" with them
tongue.gif
Oh well, gives them something to scratch around for in the brooder
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom