Metacam dosing for turkey hen

Nov 30, 2021
Hi there
My friend's sweet turkey Mavis had an encounter with a coyote and she is thankfully okay but has some severe injuries. She's two weeks into healing now and she's looking good overall, eating drinking walking around and preening, but she still does have some pain we think since one of her wounds is still open. My friends been giving her baby Tylenol on recommendation from another farmer but since I have some spare Metacam 1.5mg left over from my dog's surgery last year, I offered it to her. What would be a good formula for figuring out dosage? I couldn't find any good info for turkeys online. Thank you so much.

When my vet prescribed it, she prescribed 0.25 mg/kg twice a day for an egg-bound peahen.

The Formula

If you weigh in pounds:
Weight in pounds, divided by 2.2, times the number of mg per kg, divided by the number of mg per ml.
Example for one pound using 0.25 mg/kg & 1.5 mg/ml - 1 / 2.2 x 0.25 / 1.5 = ~0.07 ml

If you weigh in kilograms:

Weight in kilograms, times the number of mg per kg, divided by the number of mg per ml.
Example for one kilogram using 0.25 mg/kg & 1.5 mg/ml - 1 x 0.25 / 1.5 = ~0.17 ml

Does that help?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom