Metal in soil - Need a new run

There's even an online service that matches supply with demand:
https://getchipdrop.com/
Only if you're really lucky to be in the right area at the right time.......folks have waited months.

I had to wait months too of other broken promises(lies).
Until I found this at a local DWP yard...I picked up a few loads myself...
but it took weeks to get this delivered.
1583978170630.png

Only if you're really lucky to be in the right area at the right time.......folks have waited months.

I had to wait months too of other broken promises(lies).
Until I found this at a local DWP yard...I picked up a few loads myself...
but it took weeks to get this delivered.
View attachment 2049471
It's a hit or miss, yes, but it's there. Landscapers and DPWs are another good option. I just walked past a tree being chewed up this morning on my way to work and was itching to stop and ask the contractors if they could dump the chips in my yard 😁 but I was in a rush. Going to ask the DPW, too - I've asked them about other things like that, like branches and logs, and they've said sure, as long as you haul it away yourself. The point is... If you can find a way, it can be very cheap or even free, unlike other materials.

Ah interesting! Never have heard of chipdrop. Thanks @K0k0shka - will check that out. Given our run is covered for the most part, think woodchips may be a nice option with some sand.

I've gathered leaves and branches and such from public parks before, but never thought of contacting the DPW. That could be a good idea.

I'm torn on burying hardware cloth (could rust?) or if I could just cover the initial layer with small rocks and bricks (we have a lot from another project) for drainage. Or I could do the turf reinforcement netting... decisions...

@aart , we may have the same type of chickens. What are they planning? Escape from us?

Our local waste convenience center used to offer free mulch but they don't any more. Landscape companies around here are happy to sell it to you but its definitely not free.
I live 45 min away and up and over 2 mountains from the nearest landscape company/supply store and will burn more in gas getting there and back than what i will spend on the wood chips.
That's why I am advocating doing the soil test. Mail it in, you get an answer in a few days and you probably won't have to do anything but remove a few nails from the ground.

Thanks @Mtnboomer . I live in a somewhat urban neighborhood in a 100+ year old home, so I think chances are high that the soil is contaminated (especially with those debris). I'll likely test various parts of the property for lead before I take on another construction project... oy, I thought I was done! :sick

I'm torn on burying hardware cloth (could rust?) or if I could just cover the initial layer with small rocks and bricks (we have a lot from another project) for drainage. Or I could do the turf reinforcement netting... decisions...

Of those options I'd do rock/gravel. Hardware cloth can tear up their toes and feet, if they manage to dig down that far, weed cloth will fray over time, etc. Rocks are at least a safe option that won't degrade.

And depending on your area, wood chips may be more or less easy to get. In my area tree trimming companies are pretty desperate to find places to unload chips (otherwise they have to pay to dump them) so I often see chipping trucks advertising free chips if you call them.

Hi everyone -

I'm looking to replace the bottom in my chicken run. One of my chickens has swallowed metal screw / nail and a ring :)barnie!) despite me doing the magnetic sweeper, and I found a bunch more from a previous house owner's construction projects recently. Given the amount of material found, I also suspect the soil itself has high quantities of lead / heavy metals, so I'm exploring new options for the run.

My plan currently is to dig up the bottom of the run and clear out much of the bottom (currently just dirt / loamy soil), approx 6 inches or so. Then I am hoping to put a heavy duty tarp on top and cover with a 6-10" layer of 20-20-60 mix of concrete sand, top soil bought in bags, and pine chips from a local mill. The run is covered by our patio (wood) - some rain can trickle through, but really not that much that it becomes a full mudfest.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the run bottom like this? Would you recommend a different ratio of materials? I'm concerned about potentially water molding in the pine chips, especially with the tarp bottom, but it's the cheaper of the other options from what I've gotten quotes for, and the chickens seem to like other mulch we have around the yard currently. I could also put down a layer of gravel instead of the tarp, but think chickens may be able to scratch that up. Also, should I poke some holes in the tarp so any water drains? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.
We dug down when we put up our run and put in about 6 inches of gravel (solves water issues) then several inches of builder sand that we had delivered. NO dirt or chips, sand only. It's been 4 years. We clean the run every day by just scooping poop out into a bucket with a kitty litter scoop (metal) and mini metal rake, and it's been great. No smell, no hassle. We can add 5 gal. buckets of sand now and then. In May I do a huge coop/run clean with Kennel Wash and we take out a lot of the sand. (We always have a tarp covered pile of new sand). We then just add some new sand. This has really worked well for us.

How big is the run? For example a 200sf run at 8" deep equals 134 cf of wood chips. Thats about 65 bags @ almost $5 a bag.
I would invest my time and sweat equity to be sure there is even a problem before investing that kind of dough into something on which my chickens will poop.
Shredded leaves are free and does the same job. We have 1/4 inch hardware cloth 3 ft down, up the sides, and across the top of our run. ( run is only 12' x 12', as girls get to free range half the day) Have never had a predator get in, not even a mouse. Started with just a couple inches of dirt in there, after years of tossing in grass clippings, shredded leaves, etc soil level is probably 8-10 inches now. And that's with me pulling out all the compost I could possibly use every spring and growing season. My girls are diggers too! They do dig down to hardware cloth occasionally, but no one's ever been hurt by it. I just relevel the soil when they dig out big holes, and yes even with a designated dust bath, they still dig out big holes. Only takes a minute to relevel that soil.

Shredded leaves are free and does the same job. We have 1/4 inch hardware cloth 3 ft down, up the sides, and across the top of our run. ( run is only 12' x 12', as girls get to free range half the day) Have never had a predator get in, not even a mouse. Started with just a couple inches of dirt in there, after years of tossing in grass clippings, shredded leaves, etc soil level is probably 8-10 inches now. And that's with me pulling out all the compost I could possibly use every spring and growing season. My girls are diggers too! They do dig down to hardware cloth occasionally, but no one's ever been hurt by it. I just relevel the soil when they dig out big holes, and yes even with a designated dust bath, they still dig out big holes. Only takes a minute to relevel that soil.
Right, "after years." The idea i was responding to was an immediate removal of soil and replacing it or the immediate addition of wood chips.
I do a lot of the same in my juvenile bird's run. I use the scraps from splitting wood, pine needles from the yard, and leaves that accumulate in the flower beds. However, they live in an "urban environment." So it sounded unlikely that those materials would be in enough abundance to replace 8" of depth depending on the size of the run. Alternative supplies may be available but where I live, none of those are free.

Before I'd spend money on something for chickens to poop on, especially in high volume, I would first confirm the issue is as bad as I assume it to be, because it may not be.

How big is the run? For example a 200sf run at 8" deep equals 134 cf of wood chips. Thats about 65 bags @ almost $5 a bag.
I would invest my time and sweat equity to be sure there is even a problem before investing that kind of dough into something on which my chickens will poop.
Lol, yeah I'd never "buy" wood chips. The crap in bags is usually chipped up pallet wood, then dyed with chemicals that will leach into your soil. Have an arborist deliver a truckload of chips, or buy some from a landscape supplier. Otherwise, just use carbonaceous materials from yard - leaves, grass clippings, etc.

I've been on ChipDrop for a few months, it's hit/miss. The first deliver I got like the next day after posting; the 2nd time took about 2-3wks; I've been waiting a solid 2 months since posting again. Even last week I saw two full chip trucks on my street on different days, talked to them both in person and they even took my address....but no chips. Probably should mentioned there was a case of beer waiting for them I guess

Back
Top Bottom