Metal Lath Around Bottom of Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bid, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bid

bid Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Has anyone ever used metal lath around the bottom of a run? This is used as a base for plaster or stucco and comes in sheets that are 8 feet x 28 inches. Very strong, small diameter holes and galvanized. Any experience with this? Good idea or bad idea?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I never used it myself because it's hard to get by such good sheets, but I bet it will work perfect, where can you find them?

Omran

3. bid

bid Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Oops..one letter turns it into a tool rather than a material.

Lath is available at any builders/contractors supply and at most DIY big box stores.

I just have a few sheets laying around and thought it would be a good bottom layer of protection. The concern I have is the abrasive nature of it. Think cheese grater. What worries me about using it is potential leg scrapes or foot injuries.

4. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Corrosion?

Swamp

5. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Two problems I see....1.) The pattern...little diamonds edges are very Sharp 2.) As mentioned it will rust
    On the positive side..... 1.) I'm using it but for ventilation 2.) I spray painted it 3.) it would probable last 5-7 years depending on dampness of ground and the amount of poop near it.\\Depending on you budget anything that works FOR YOU and will keep your birds safe is OK to use....you can always change it in later years.....we learn from our mistakes,
    HappyHatch'en

6. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I was looking at this at lowes and I would too be very concerned about the sharpness of the edges. If you could find a way to dull them down I bet it would great cause it is super strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by