Metal or wood shed?

I've got a basic metal aviary shed for my chooks as a shed/coop and I love it - easy to clean and if it gets really dirty its just a simple hose down! Mine looks roughly something like this http://i50.tinypic.com/2utlrfl.jpg but with an internal ladder to a little upstairs bit... I have this which securely locks the girls in at night and then I let them out into their big run during the day. All I do it have straw for the bedding but be mindful in winter it'll need constant replacing as a build up of moisture can lead to illness in birds especially respiratory and feet wise!! When I first thought about a coop I was all set for one of those cute wooden ones that seems the classic go for a coop. I just find the mesh one is really easy to clean and nice and neat... I imagine with a wooden one the wood would eventually go and would be a lot harder to clean with dried mud/poop stuck to it whereas with the metal coop a pressure cleaner easily gets rid of it! If you do get a metal one (which I recommend) make sure you scrub it out with a bucket solution of 1/4 white vinegar to 3/4 water to get rid of the zinc that could be in the metal and then just give it a quick rinse down. Hope this helps let me know how you go! :)

Biggest problem with metal sheds is condensation loads of it I gave up using this one below because the roof pitch was too shallow and it dripped o the birds all night and the walls and bedding around the edges were always wet
It is now a shelter for my sheep

Ventilation is key and if i had continued to use it I would have fitted meshed opening all around

I now use plastic wherever possible like these Ketter sheds but the roof on these also dripped until I put a lot more ventilation in
I now build all my coop including one based on a caravan chassis using 8x4 stokbord

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...niv&sa=X&ei=rjWhVLXJOYniaK6zgIAB&ved=0CFgQsAQ

Metal or plastic is so much easier to clean

I'm thinking about this shed. It should be big enough for what I'm needing.

Don't know where your at but I'm in s louisiana and have 2 like that and in the summer they get way too hot to use as a coop. I was gonna use one for a brooder house but couldn't. Without heat lights it was still too hit

I don't use it as a coop, but I have a vinyl shed. It has withstood flooding and hurricanes/tropical storms, Florida sun, embers from burning Palm fronds, dropped branches and pine cones from a full grown pine tree, and it has not become a home for rodents. I have had it for 10 years and it looks as good today as the day I finished building it by myself! I got the floor kit with it, which I also love!
I wish I had bought two shed kits.

Here is a page of search results. Some good prices on sale and shows different sources from which to purchase. There are some that have a whole row of windows, which mine does not have....

http://pronto.com/shopping?am=broad...=sdb&gc=0&dqi=&qsrc=999&ad=semD&o=20232&l=dir

Oh yeah: we also have termites, carpenter bees, carpenter ants. The shed, of course, is not susceptible to any of these. And it has required zero maintenance...not one drop of paint or sealant, and not a single repair. And it does not rust, nor make the horrible screeching sounds my Dad's old metal shed made!

Last edited:
Stuck between getting a big metal shed or getting a smaller wood shed for my coop. I will have a 20ft by 10ft run attached. Any input would be much appreciated! thanks

I personally have a metal shed but I live in Canada (think north pole) which you have to factor in your situation.

If you decide on a metal shed you would be well advised to insulate right off the bat. Also by the look of the sliding doors those can be a nightmare to open if you are subject to freezing temperatures with debris in the track. Hinged doors are the answer in my case

If you decide on a wooden shed the choice is your's whether you insulate or not as long as you have ample ventilation..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom