Can you convert an insulated metal panel shed into a coop?

I have an insulated metal panel shed. Can you turn this type of shed into a coop? What are the pros and cons of this idea? I would love to be able to utilize an existing structure instead of building from scratch.
Pros is its already there, and hopeful big enough for the number of chickens you want to have.

Cons might be lack of roof overhang to protect the maybe difficult to cut windows and vents.

Pics of the shed, inside and out, would be of great help to offering viable advice.
Also.....

Welcome to BYC! @PatienceT
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1708956303799.png

I didn't have a chance to get an inside pic yet, but here is the outside shot. I couldn't get the other ones to load for some reason. It is a basic shed on the inside with a plyboard floor. This is just an idea I had and wanted some info on if it would make a reliable coop.
CD45AC4D-A8E7-43C0-A41C-7B03A3D074FB_4_5005_c.jpeg

I didn't have a chance to get an inside pic yet, but here is the outside shot. I couldn't get the other ones to load for some reason. It is a basic shed on the inside with a plyboard floor. This is just an idea I had and wanted some info on if it would make a reliable coop. View attachment 3758112
I would totaly use this! I'm all about up cycling and creativity with what I already have. It looks like a great size and I'm sure you'll get really good advice on here on how to proceed. Ventilation will be very important but you've got such a great jump on Predator proofing, etc. DO IT!! And post pics of your progress, please!! I bet the end result is awesome. :thumbsup

I would totaly use this! I'm all about up cycling and creativity with what I already have. It looks like a great size and I'm sure you'll get really good advice on here on how to proceed. Ventilation will be very important but you've got such a great jump on Predator proofing, etc. DO IT!! And post pics of your progress, please!! I bet the end result is awesome. :thumbsup
Thank you so much. I told my husband this evening I wanted a flock of chickens for my 26th wedding anniversary present :)

Well, one good thing, it has good roof overhangs.
Knowing how the walls are constructed will clue you into how hard it might be to cut windows and vent.
It looks like it may be made from freezer panels(insulation sheathed on both sides with metal).
You are correct about the type of walls. It is weather-tight with no issues of condensation as it currently houses an antique dresser that would have long since shown signs of moisture damage if there was any.

It will need windows and ventilation as well.

Back
Top Bottom