Metal Perch Solutions (Chicken Tractor)

vmchapman20

Hatching
Feb 22, 2022
Hi All,

I just built a chicken tractor out of electrical metal tubing (light weight and will last better in my climate). I didn't think about the perches. They are metal also. Any idea what I can wrap them with to help keep the girls warm in the winter time?

Thanks,
Valerie

I'm in La Center, WA area. Typically doesn't freeze. Sprinkles a lot. I don't have a finished pic but this gives you an idea. I would like to keep them warmer. The back open end in the pic is now covered in roof sheeting. I'm just asking about the perch bars.

Attachments

• 20220220_142452.jpg
    20220220_142452.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 10
Not sure how well rounded metal will do for perch bars, seems a bit slippery. Is there a way that you can add/secure 2x4s to the top of the metal roots?

also, will these tractor be for laying hens or meat birds?
I too would like to see a few more pictures. But, I would go with a 2x4 or 2x3 clamped to the top of the roost bar. Laying wide side up. If there is a way to find a 2-4 inch tree limb might also work.

These may work: Fiberfix tape, some sort of Bondo, carbon fiber, carbon fiber wrap. Possibly one or more under and/or over pvc to bulk it up or add some insulation or traction.

I haven't used any of these for this purpose. I don't know how safe they might be for chickens picking at them. And I doubt they would be less expensive or easier to use than routering a groove in a 2x4 and setting that over your pipe with a couple of braces.

Let us know what you try and what works.

Back
Top Bottom