Metal Roof Moisture in Duck Palace

Nessquick

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2018
Hello everyone!
My duck palace has a metal roof and unfortunately in its been dripping water in this cold weather we've been experiencing. It basically drips down the inside of the roof and collects in a low corner where the block foundation has settled, making that corner of their bedding really damp and probably rotting my wood. Last evening it was down to 26 degrees and its likely to get down to the high teens or low 20's by the end of our long winters. I'd like to put a heating lamp inside their house to help dry out the dripping condensation from the metal roof, but I'm concerned about fire risks. Is this something I should worry about, and how can I protect against it? I'd read on the box of the heat lamps bulbs that moisture can cause the bulbs to explode, has anyone had this happen and should I really be concerned? I plan to wire the heating lamp into a timer so its only on at night.

As a side note, the house is very well vented. I'm sure this would probably come up and I figured I'd mention it now. They have 6 floor vents and two large ceiling vents. The condensation isn't from the ducks breath or any moisture problem, its just a side effect of the metal sheeting material I used for the roofing. In hindsight I should have chosen something else, but here we are...

I get the same problem at times in my turkey shed. It usually goes away as the temperature drops. I personally wouldn't use a heat lamp. Better air movement can help dry stuff out. Knowing you location and climate would help too.

I get the same problem at times in my turkey shed. It usually goes away as the temperature drops. I personally wouldn't use a heat lamp. Better air movement can help dry stuff out. Knowing you location and climate would help too.
Thanks for the response! I’m in Southern Oregon in the pacific northwest. It’s likely going to stay in this general temperature until around February of next year

Anyway you can attach a vapor barrier to the inside of the metal roof? Also cheap vinyl flooring can help keep moisture off the wood bring it up a foot on the sides too.

Back
Top Bottom