Metal roof or tradional roof which is cheaper?

Kmf

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Milford, MI
Hi
I am going to be starting to build the "Playhouse coop" (it's the coop that is the picture for the small coops in the coop section) but we are doing the 8 x 8 version. It calls for a metal roof, but I am wondering if a tradional roof would be cheaper. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Also, if you know of any pros or cons of each, I would love that input also!!
idunno.gif

I'd go for metal. We have tin roofs on our coops, one has cheap OSB board under the tin for a little insulation of sort, the other is in the shade most of the time so we didn't bother.

I think your metal roof may be cheaper, depends on size and such, SQFT wise it may be cheaper, BUT you may need special fastner, Joists etc, which will bring it right back up with Asphalt Shingles.

There are advantages to each

Metal roof is lighter, but has almost no insulation value. puts heat into coop faster in summer, and allows any saved heat to excape faster in the winter.

Rain sounds better on a metal roof, but I dont know if the chickens will notice or care.

If damage occurs repairing a Ashpalt roof is easier, no problems finding matching shingles(may be faded, but design will not change to a new improved design, requiring either a shotty looking patch, or replacing metal completely.

Metal Should last longer, but may require painting anytime it gets scratched

Also check to see what dementions metal sheets are sold in, if going with metal it may be easier to adjust size of coop than to try to piece sheets together.

We have metal on our barn but it needs some sort of lining under it. The warm air from the animals rises and when it hits the cold metal, the air condenses and rains water back down on the animals. Not good and it makes the bedding wet. I haven't figured out how to fix it but I am open to ideas.

I just put a metal roof on my newest coop because it was cheaper, but not by that much. I priced it out and doing the cheapest possible traditional roof it was like $280, that is OSB boards and rolled roofing. The metal roof was around $250 for a 20'x12' coop. However the biggest selling point was ease of installation. With the metal roof there was no cutting and all that was required was just screwing it down. When I ordered it they cut it to length and the color you want and total time for installation was about two hours. Plus as already stated by others it will last forever.

If you have metal, I suggest something thick under it for insulation.

In AZ, metal would cook the birds.

The roost box/ nest box area is enclosed with plywood with covered vent holes in the top and then the roof is open to the run area. Do you think condensation would be an issue then? Here is a picture of another coop like the one I am going to build so you can see what I am talking about
34339_100_1656.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a box inside a screen porch, so there should be no problems with built up condensation. It almost looks like they have used fiberglass roofing(sometimes in green/see through etc). Being in MI, I would make sure there is plenty of support, just in case you get heavy snow. Manufacturers often show minimum spacing required so the cost looks good, but you may have to add extra supports for your area.

Back
Top Bottom