Metal run kit advice

Looking for advice or experience, good or bad with metal run kits. Based on current situation this is our best option.

I need to purchase an approximately 10'×20' metal run kit that I can anchor to on an existing pad.

Does anyone know of a kit that has a door wide enough for a wheel barrow. So far all I've seen are narrow dog run style doors.

Coop will but up to side of run.

Thanks!

Are the restrictions due to size or portability?

So does run need to be on wheels too?
Moot point on restrictions because I have a coop, but I'll gladly explain, since you replied.

There is an exception for very small size structures. I don’t now the exact dimensions but it is smaller than 10'×10'.

I also explained to township I would not be changing square footage of impermeable ground cover since the concrete pad already exists from a prior coop. The floor was probably poured 1930's when this was a small commercial chicken farm. Pad is approximately 16'×30'. Existing pad doesn’t matter.

Run does not need to be on wheels. It is the same as a dog run fence.

Thanks for your reply aart!

I can anchor to on an existing pad.
Not a great idea to put a chicken run on a concrete pad.
How many chickens will you have?
Any metal framing you get will need to be bolstered with smaller mesh to cover dog style mesh, including any gaps between panels and door.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1700837657621.png

@Hainies Hen House

The garage suggestion was intended to be for a run not a coop; placement is flexible off a side or end.

As @aart points out you will need to add hardware cloth to have any hope of predator proofing. I have seen garage frames on kijiji for next to nothing, guessing that will be your least expensive approach.

Thanks guys.

I pulled the trigger on a metal run kit. I'll post about in an update to this thread in the near future.

I'm under the gun to get this done. My wife is tired of the chickens crapping all over the porch and driveway. I'm tired of cleaning up after them. They also like to peck away at the lime putty mortar joints of our 1812 stone house. They seem to prefer it to oyster shells.

We have eight birds at present all hens. We raised five from week old. They are now twenty weeks old and in a small combined coop and run. The coop is adequate. The run is way to small. It was purchase at TSC and given to us when we adopted four adult birds. I give them the run of our fenced one acre when I'm outside and there are no hawks in the area. The problem with this is they gravitate to our porch and being chickens they crap on everything.

Of the four adults we adopted, three are still alive. They have separate small combined coop/run that was purchased at TSC and also given to us with the same four adults. They also have an approximately 8'×12' dog run with a tarp over it.

Not a great idea to put a chicken run on a concrete pad.

I'm on the fence about this. I've read pros and cons.

We have wooded area on two sides and are close to the Schuylkill River. There are lots of fox, coyotes, raccoons, weasels. That's why I'm considering putting the run on concrete. Trying to bury hardware cloth in the ground would be tough and an added expense.

I'm going to try deep bedding. I have a reliable supply of wood chips and currently have a decent pile of aged dry woodchips. I've also a windrow of fermented shredded leaves and brush (bokashi) that is full of worms and insects.

The back part of the property is currently overgrown with brush and stumps, downed trees and ruts. It's will take some time to clear the run perimeter. The concrete pad is clear.

If the run on concrete pad doesn't work out I should be able to break the run down into sections and move it.
The garage suggestion was intended to be for a run not a coop; placement is flexible off a side or end.

Ted I think I miss understood your post.
After reading you post again I believe you meant a frame from a fabric type garage. I initially pictured a prefabricated wood drop in place garage.

My wife and I talked about using the frame from a large tent similar to the portable garages. I haven't done the math but I would bet with the price of hardware, hardware cloth and hinges going that route may cost more than a run kit.

Profile updated. Thanks for suggestion and directions.

Once again thanks for input.

Sounds like a decent plan. At least you have space and materials to deal with bedding options. Same of those aged wood chippings(I assume from a wood chipper, not bagged from farm store) with a bit of leaf litter on top might get you off to a good start.

Hopefully the new run will have to capacity to hold up to snow load.

Trying to bury hardware cloth in the ground would be tough and an added expense.
For future reference. No need to bury it:
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Run kit arrived this week, all in one box. Box is all ripped up. I'm going to return it without bothering to open it.

Hopefully the new run will have to capacity to hold up to snow load.

Thanks aart. Good question. Through a large hole in the shipping carton I was able to look and feel the tubing for the run frame. It is really thin. You get what you pay for.

Since my original post, I learned that if I keep the birds confined in the runs until around noon, then give them the run of the yard, they are too busy scratching to go on the porch.

I'm going to drop back to Plan A and build a hoop coop with 4 cattle panels. I purchased the materials a couple months ago, before I purchased the run kit.

I have a large box full of heavy duty 12" turnbuckle and 5/16" cables I can put across to secure a tarp and anchor hoops to the ground.

I can use the panels to build 4 modular type sections that will be easy to occasionally move. I will be able to use my little Bolens G154 front end loader to move woodchips through the run.

I can shore up the center of hoops in winter.

Back
Top Bottom